Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

delima please advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009 | 09:42 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default delima please advise

Ok, we bought a 04 honda 450 in May. Had to put front and back brakes on it right away. Rode it twice. The second time it was smoking something terrible, also the tie rode broke so we had to fixed that and the 4 ball joints. So, we took it to the shop. They just called today and it will cost $2960 to fix it. A total rehaul. We paid $3000 for the 4 wheeler. So, we now have about $3500 in it. So, we don't know should we put the $2960 in it to fix it, or just take the 4 wheeler as a $3500 loss. We don't know at what point do we cut our loss. If we pay the $2960 and have it fixed it should be like a new 4 wheeler right? Or not right? We need help!!

Old 07-29-2009 | 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

If you do get it fixed then it will run for a LONG time as long as it gets taken care of, it sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of it. We've got an 02 Honda Foreman 450 and still runs like it's new because we've taken care of it. I'd say go for it and get it fixed because if it gets taken care of you'll have a machine that will run longer than anything else.

Old 07-29-2009 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have a bike that was misterated and never maintained.

Sell the bike ASAP and cut your losses, its a POS.

I have a '98 with over 10,000 kms and I've only ever replaced one ball joint, zero tie rod ends, the motor doesnt smoke...etc.

There are lots of bikes out there in much better shape for the same $$$, if buying again, have a mechanic look at it first.

If you keep this bike, your going to have to learn to do alot of the work yourself to make it worthwhile financially.

Honda bikes are known to be reliable, but yours is beaten up to have all that wrong with it. You could put $2900 into it now and still have issues come up in the future. I wouldn't count out that there may be other hidden problems like a bent frame, bent axle, CV joints ready to fail any day...and so on with that much abuse.

Old 07-30-2009 | 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Post Honda Delimaplease advise

Originally Posted by action450s
Sounds like you have a bike that was misterated and never maintained.

Sell the bike ASAP and cut your losses, its a POS.

I have a '98 with over 10,000 kms and I've only ever replaced one ball joint, zero tie rod ends, the motor doesnt smoke...etc.

There are lots of bikes out there in much better shape for the same $$$, if buying again, have a mechanic look at it first.

If you keep this bike, your going to have to learn to do alot of the work yourself to make it worthwhile financially.

Honda bikes are known to be reliable, but yours is beaten up to have all that wrong with it. You could put $2900 into it now and still have issues come up in the future. I wouldn't count out that there may be other hidden problems like a bent frame, bent axle, CV joints ready to fail any day...and so on with that much abuse.
The first thing i would ask myself is the dealer telling you the truth about everything he had told you is wrong with your quad ? , many but not all will will will try to take you to the cleaners on repairs that aren't needed just to your money ; i've seen queit a few in my local area that have taken me for something i didn't need !

The first thing i suggest is that anyone who buy a used quad to get a good O.E.M. Factory Service and Shop Manual that cover your quad even if you have no experious in atv repair , you can at least check out the quad to see if it indeed needs all this work or find someone on the forums that can help you check it out with their help ; it just might not need all these repairs and the dealerships tech could be looking at making a bundle in your case !
willie...........

Old 07-30-2009 | 07:10 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I think they are telling the truth. They even had my husband come in so he could see what all they were talking about.

My husband feels like Jawsh, that after what we have done to it and after all the $2960 work it should run for a long time.

I feel like mabye we should cut our loss not. But, I would NEVER resale it to anyone. I would not do to someone what was done to us.

We even asked if we traded it in how much would we get for it and they said maybe $200 and that is if they would take it.

We really can't afford another payment. If we could have we would of bought a new one to begin with.

The service manager and the owner at another place told that unforunately they see this happen all the time. UGH! I can't believe people do that to other people.

Old 07-30-2009 | 07:42 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Seems pretty obvious that we are talking about a Foreman 450 here, not the TRX450R?????

Old 07-30-2009 | 09:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You did not test ride the ATV before you bought it? If a engines smokes it smokes All the time and right away it can not be hid, and both front and back brakes do not just quite over night a test ride will spot that problem out quick also. Ball joints failing and tie rods sounds like the ATV was abused which shows itself when the ATV is just parked and your staring at it.

Next ATV you buy bring a person who know things about them along with you.

Old 07-30-2009 | 01:04 PM
|
Trailblazer

It is a foreman 450. Thanks to ya'll that are trying to help.

Old 07-30-2009 | 05:24 PM
Range Rover

What is it exactly that needs fixing - and what miles are on it?
Is it changing gears ok?
There is very likely a cheaper way around this if it is only engine trouble you have.
what did the shop say needs replacing?
is the actual engine casing good?
are the drives and rear and front diffs good?
sounds a lot to repair - but with a good mechanic and online parts you might yet see a way

Old 07-30-2009 | 08:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by zitaron
What is it exactly that needs fixing - and what miles are on it?
Is it changing gears ok?
There is very likely a cheaper way around this if it is only engine trouble you have.
what did the shop say needs replacing?
is the actual engine casing good?
are the drives and rear and front diffs good?
sounds a lot to repair - but with a good mechanic and online parts you might yet see a way

We thought it shifted ok, maybe a little hard. But, they say they are messed up. The engine casing is good. diffs are good. Needs a new cylinder, both cluthes, crank shaft, and cam shaft. We were looking on line today at parts and we think we are going to do the work ourselves. Thanks

Quick Reply: delima please advise