Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda TRX 250R Cooling System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Honda TRX 250R Cooling System Problem

Hello,

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me figure out what's going on with my 250R.

Here's the problem: It's spewing coolant out of the overflow tube as if it's overheating.

Here's the history: I completely replaced the water pump several weeks ago. I had the Honda shop install the seals. I've raced it a couple of times since and had no problems. Last race one of my hoses popped off and melted a against the head. So I replaced the top and bottom hose and put on new hose clamps. I rode it around my drive way and it seemed fine. I went to a track to practice yesterday and it kept spewing coolant out the tube. A lot of coolant. The Honda mechanic told me to check the radiator cap and to see if the coolant is circulating. I started the bike and it looked like to me that the coolant was circulating. It was moving and there were air bubbles.

Today when I took the cap off, it made a sound like it had been sealed. I put a different radiator cap on it (which who knows they could both be bad) and rode it around the driveway. It started spewing out coolant within a minute. It doesn't seem like it would even have time to actually overheat. I have another radiator but it's from a different year and takes different hoses that I don't have. I wanted to race this weekend but time's running out...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Aletha

Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Sounds like a head gasket problem to me. What happens is the piston squeezes pressure into the cooling system due to a crack or bad gasket. If the coolant does not seem hot this is more than likely the problem.

A combustion dye check would tell the real story.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
2 strokes or 4

Have to agree with Dr. Turbo on this one. Air bubbles in the coolant usually is a sign of a Headgasket problem.