Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

To change oil or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To change oil or not

I need advice on an oil issue. Bought a '00 Recon from a guy that said he bought it used and did not ask what oil was being used. So he was using Havoline, and said he has changed the oil yearly with no other problems. I use Honda oil in my other 2 bikes but I am not sure whether to change to Honda oil or continue to use Havoline in this one. Thanks, Jim

Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Personally I would use what I use in everything else. I have bought used vehicles in the past and have never had an issue changing brands of oil.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NC Rebel
I need advice on an oil issue. Bought a '00 Recon from a guy that said he bought it used and did not ask what oil was being used. So he was using Havoline, and said he has changed the oil yearly with no other problems. I use Honda oil in my other 2 bikes but I am not sure whether to change to Honda oil or continue to use Havoline in this one. Thanks, Jim
I've also never had any problems changing oil brands. Don't worry about it. Just change your oil with what you like.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

Honda oil should be fine but its pretty basic, and a touch to the expensive side (in the UK anyway).

Amazing! A thread with oil in it that doesn't go to 4 pages immeadiantly?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Give it time...

Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not only can you change brands of oil you can change to sythetic oil if you like also at any time.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLC
Not only can you change brands of oil you can change to sythetic oil if you like also at any time.
Yup..... I'm not sure where all this "don't change brands" or "don't mix in synthetics" started.... Maybe it is just an old school thing......

You can mix different weights, you can mix synthetic with regular, you can mix brands. It does not make a bit of difference. As long as the viscosity is correct for the given engine it is OK.....Of course mixing weights gives you an "unknown" viscosity so its not a good idea if you can help it.

The whole switching to synthetics thing has been around for years, and maybe it used to matter 25 years ago. But today almost every oil has some level of synthetic material mixed in, so changing oils is no big deal. In fact all these new thin oils have usually 20-30% synthetic and it won't even say it on the bottle in most cases. Because in order to get to a 5w20 you need synthetic polymers to get there. And most synthetics are only 60-80% synthetic. In fact I believe an oil can claim "full synthetic" as long as it is over 75% synthetic...... So most "synthetic" oils are usually 80/20 or so...... Only things like Maxima or Red Line (and a few others) are actually close to 100% synthetic. I think Amsoil is 80/20 or around there......

I imagine in another 20 years every oil will be full synthetic, or darn close.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Stay away from "blends" they have like only 10% synthetic oil in them but cost more then conventional. Might as well mix your own blend at 50/50 if you go that rout.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Well, we can always argue about which filter to use if the oil argument doesn't pick up.

With all the oils out there, you can narrow it down to what works, and what works for you.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Well, we can always argue about which filter to use if the oil argument doesn't pick up.
Uh....Recon doesn't have an oil filter!

Quick Reply: To change oil or not