Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

children riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the other year i was at a poker run in new jersey and this guys starts talking to my dad and i while we were in line to register and he said yeah i just went and picked my two sons up new atvs last friday. We asked what kind and he said a 300ex and a 400ex. SO we looked around and didn't see the kids with him , so we aksed and he pointed to his truck. there sat his son who was 9 years old on a new 400ex , and his other 8y.o. son on a 300ex.
I don't know how they finished but i thought the whole thing was rediculous.

Old 02-22-2001, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well you just don't know. I knew a kid in jr. highscool who was about 4' even. this kid rode a cr500 like you would not beleve. Now I'm not advocating buying a machine that a kid cant handle, but maturity and skill era not deturmined by age or size. I know some 30 y/o I wouldn't trust with my 400EX,and I know a 13 y/o I would (if supervised).

400EX

Old 02-23-2001, 03:06 PM
Range Rover

chrispy1, You bring up a good topic, I really never knew where to go with it:

To everyone out there, is it better to start kids out on big ATV's (3's, 4,s, and 500's) with the rule of "Not a toy", or is it better to start them out on smaller 50's and 90's and let them tip'em over, do wheelies, and play to get compfortable?

I started my boys (12&9) on a 500. First with me on the back assisting, then a couple of trails on private land. They seem to accept the rule and are good drivers. Nothing fancy and they don't panic in mud or take off on straight away's. Plus, there small, thumbs get tired, brakes are hard to squeeze and they forget about shifting. Turning is a challenge so after a while it's kinda tuff and they'd rather ride with someone then continue doing all the work. We've looked and read the ATV accidents on the web and in papers so they know it's the real deal. Watch a kid read something about another kid their age and watch the lights come on between their ear's. It's hard for them when we get with the cousins and they are about the same age on smaller ATV's. They spin, do wheelies and always on the edge. I just give my boys the stare and if I have to start the speech it starts with "Getting stupid is the least of your problems today," and ends with "I'M NOT GOING TO THE HOSPITAL EITHER." So, what's better, get it out of their system young on little ATV's or treat the ATV with responsibility right off the bat? Currently, the 12 year old just does not like the risk, and the 9 year old gets tired hands to quickly.

Old 02-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

My little brother rode an ATV for the first time last month. My 300ex. Sure he's only 10 but it all comes down to whether or not you trust the kid. I KNOW he won't do anything that he can't handle. He doesnt try to do wheelies or top end runs, but he has tons of fun just running that baby around. It really all depends on the kid.
Mike

Old 02-23-2001, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FISHBONES,Coming from the voice of a future ASI safety instructor,I dont advise starting out a 9yr old on a 500cc quad.

Rule number one,the rider must ALLWAYS be in control of the handling characteristics of the machine he/she is navigating.It is IMPOSSIBLE for a 9yr old kid to be in complete control of a 650lb machine in every situation.You completely admitted that the kids get tired of handling/braking such a huge ATV.I highly advise against starting any 9yr old out on a 500cc ATV.

The kids cousins,while they do their wheelie's around your sons,the cousins are better able to handle the smaller version[weight,size] ATVs that FIT THEM.

While I beleive that the current manufactures recommendations for CC size is really to protect them from lawsuits,I do beleive in fitting your kids with the RIGHT SIZE ATV.If you son required a size 5 shoe on his feet for the correct fit,would you buy him a size 12 and send him on his way? Think about it,
Bill

Old 02-23-2001, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

I am 13 and race a 400EX in MX. It fits me fine plus I have been riding since I was 7. I agree it all depends on rider ability, strength, and maturity.

Old 02-23-2001, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

00HondaEX,
I think its cool you race a 400 at the age of 13,it sounds to me like you EARNED the right to race,you been riding since the age of 7 an are obviously trained in your field of racing.However,im also betting that you did NOT start out at the age of 7 on a 400ex?
Bill

Old 02-24-2001, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

I started on a lt 50 when I was about 5, It fit me pretty well and it didnt have enough power to kill me, then I got a 100 and a 125 trhen a couple bikes and now my R (I am 17 now) I think it is good to give the right sixe then you can expiriment and get better, if it is to big then the person m,ight be scared to experiment and not get good or maybe even drop this great sport.

Old 02-24-2001, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

You are right I started on an auto clutch 3-speed 197? Honda 50. Man that thing was slow. I worked my way to a KX60 then to a very fast CR80 then 300EX to a 400EX. I agree they shouldn't start on something big or fast that they can't handle.

Old 02-24-2001, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

its ok for kids to ride atv over 90cc, im 14 right now and traded in my recon for a rancher. so it is a good idea to start off with a machine the operator can handle. when i got my recon the first week i was afraid of it, now i can have the front end of a rancher in the air and not feel afraid of it one bit. so getting experiance has a lot to do with it. when i got my recon i was still way to big for a 90, i knew this when the little 2-stroke i took for a test ride had a hard time accelerating.
if you want to start a 10 year old out on a qaud, get him a recon or trail blazer, somthing he can handle. teach him how to properly drive it. and when he/she is comfortable. get them a sport qaud.

also, starting a kid out on a 500cc 4x4 atv is not very smart. its like putting a 6 year old on a banshee. a accedent waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: children riding