Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfp673
Could it possible be that you were getting used to a very worn set of tires. 6K miles is a lot of miles on an ATV tire and you are comparing them to a brand new set. Just a thought
I was thinking the same thing. A new tire of ANY brand works better than a worn out tire of ANY brand.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

Well, since I have never used the ACT, I can't say definitively that Big Horns are "better", but I have not experienced the problems delineated by the OP and have found just the opposite. I have a set on my Rhino and Grizzly and when they wear out I will get another set just like them.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do remember the Big Horns when they were new and they are an excellent snow tire, I just feel that the ACTS do just as well.

What I didn't like about the Big Horns was the way they handled while cornering on dry roads and trails, they love to slide and drift. I noticed that the very first time out with them and just assumed it was because they were radials.

I replace my Goodyear Mud Runners with the Big Horns and the Goodyears handled a lot better than the Big Horns did hands down on dry trails but the Big Horns rode soo much better I figured that it was a fair trade off.

The ACTs weigh less than the Big Horns which improved the ride and the ACTs overall handle better.

I would say that the ACTs do as well and maybe not better in the snow as the Big Horns; so far I am very impressed with where they take us.

My intension was not to bash the Big Horns.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tripleR
when they wear out I will get another set just like them.
I was going to buy a second set too until a friend talked me into buying a set of the ACTs.

At first I was very reluctant to switch but I now feel they were the better choice.

A good friend of mine has a 700 KQ and he put a set of Big Horns on it and then bought a 2nd 700 KQ and other than the BHs being more aggressive he enjoys the ride and handling of the KQ with the factory tires over the Big Horns.

His input was another reason that I decided to switch to a different tire.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

new guy here, for what its Worth, I just live not 10-15 miles from the Carlisle/ITP Tire Plant, and I found it interesting that the Same company makes many brands of tires! I know it don't have squat with slipping on was rock or the ride of the-whatever.....its a tour of the factory and the process of how their made , some might have seen it before some of us that have Renewed our love for the trails,Mud Rocks & Snow...might find it interesting to watch our tires being made!

NOTE: their is 2 parts to this video

ATV Shows Carlisle Tire Plant

Respects & enjoy the video
Glide & Family

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

That's a great website.

I've watched every video on it.

Watch for the trail video of the Rocky Ford Trail.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Trailblazer

Cool deal, Ill be looking for it

theirs one of those videos that I looked EVERYWHERE to find the tire plug and they must have went out of business....but they had a Wicked cool product

it was for punchers and is a cone shaped plug you install it with a Phillips head screw driver along with some Glue and...that's it your done!

anybody ever use one of those?????? LOL...I tend to like weird stuff!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I first got into quads, I grabbed my street bike tire repair stuff.

When I put a stick through the stock dunlop, I found the little cone shaped patches that work well on the kind of puncture you might get on the street (like a nail) don't work so well in the more ragged holes you tend to get from sharp sticks and rocks.

The rope kind of patch kit is now in both ATV's, and the cone kind stays in the motorcycle.

Just my .02.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

One of my friends had the cone type plug and they didn't seem to work very good.

We ended up using my rope style plug instead.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

aww it was early when I made the post,

I just thought it was something different(a snap to install to get you home) and I guess that is why their longer around any more, or Ive not been able to find them!

but I totally agree Rope is the best thing to use....as I said I just like learning about weird stuff!

I think my next project is going to be broken Winch's.......but that depends on shipping costs & donor Winchs.

as everybody knows their is the never ending debate on WHO makes the best Winch, I was thinking about getting folks to send me their busted & burned up Winch's and catalog the parts inside, to not only see what breaks, but how they work and who makes better parts...Etc. and photograph/ Video it all and spread it on the net!

its sorta like Computers People swear that a HP is better than a Dell or a Gateway or...BLa BLa BLa!

what most do not know is their is only so many Companies that make the parts that make a computer I would be willing to bet its the same way with Winch's too
hard drives=3, Ram=2 & Processors=2 and 4-5 Mother Board manufacturers.....so in the end none are really better than the others, Ill admit that like some of the Hard Drives are slower or have smaller buffers and the like in them, but they ALL work the same way, when its all said and done!

Can anybody figure out I have Cabin Fever yet?

Quick Reply: new tires