Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need some advice on Honda atv's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on Honda atv's

Hey guys. I'm looking to pick up an atv soon to start going on weekend trips with my brothers and friends but I need some help, not too familiar with the models/options. My brothers are Can-Am nutswinggers but I personally am a Honda Fanboy which is what lead me directly to Honda's as a choice. I'm trying to find a good all around atv probably around the 1/2 liter range thats 4x4 with IRS. Powersteering would be nice but if it doesn't have it oh well. Can you guys recommend anything? I'm looking to buy used as well and I have no clue when Honda started using IRS in what models. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend the Rancher lineup! They are water cooled and fuel injected, and this little engine can rip! One review placed it more in the 500 class than the 400 class.

There is a basic SRA manual transmission model, and a newer IRS model (the 420AT) that has a totally unique new "dual-clutch" transmission that will shift itself automatically, or can be shifted with pushbuttons. Power steering is available on many models. My only complaint is that they are on the heavy side.

2010 FourTrax Rancher - Honda Powersports

2010 FourTrax Rancher AT - Honda Powersports

Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I totally agree. I have a rancher 420 and not one complaint. Not the best workhorse, but great for about everything else.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

how would one hold up against 650 Outlanders? My brothers just picked up a pair of leftover 08 outlanders and I don't want to be left in the dust granted were going to be doing alot of technical riding not so much speed.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It won't have anywhere near the power of the Outlander, and is physically smaller.

Honda doesn't offer anything that makes big power in a 4x4. The Rancher's 420 efi engine is really snappy, but the auto/IRS one is pretty heavy.

Their only other offering in IRS is the 680 Rincon. It has adequate but not thrilling power, excellent suspension and handling, and a reputation for being able to rack up a ton of miles with just normal service.

It runs a 3 speed torque converter auto, which is fairly high geared and has no low range. Compression braking/engine hold back kicks in at about 6 mph, and a steep downhill without using the brakes will have you doing 12 or so where other machines could hold 3-4 mph on engine holdback.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nismo4life
how would one hold up against 650 Outlanders? My brothers just picked up a pair of leftover 08 outlanders and I don't want to be left in the dust granted were going to be doing alot of technical riding not so much speed.
Several of my buddies have Outlanders, and I find that they have tall sloppy suspension that causes a lot of body roll and instability. Completely different ride than my Ranchers....

Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are the ranchers big enough for a 6'1 230lbser? I think they're pretty cool bikes but i'm afraid I would be less comfortable than say on a Foreman / King Quad. I'd also like to use it for snow plowing but think maybe a quad with more ground clearance would be better.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 07 Rancher 420, moved up from a Rancher 350. I am 6'6", 250 lbs. The 420 is quite a bit more comfortable and has plenty to keep up with larger machines in the woods.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

You won't get a honda to be able to keep up with the power of the outtys, but if that's your reason for buying, go elsewhere than Big Red.

Depending on whether you're a fan of shifting gears yourself will limit you to 500cc's and to only a few model choices.

IMO, regardless of what you buy...the features you should look for are:
EFI, Differential lock, power steering, lots of storage spaces

and the features you should absolutely require:
disc brakes front and rear...drums are inexcusable for any reason or application.

About 4-5 years ago, you couldn't get a Honda with discs on the front and rear, which finally turned me off of Hondas. They are dependable as ever (and I still have my 1995 TRX300) but I moved on to a different brand

Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
and the features you should absolutely require:
disc brakes front and rear...drums are inexcusable for any reason or application.
Discs certainly stop much better than drums but they also wear out quicker because they are exposed to the elements all the time. Grit, & mud take a toll. I'd had both discs & drums and if you're not racing, I think drums are fine, and maybe better because they last a long time. But, like I said, they take more strength to pull the lever and don't stop QUITE as well. There's advantages and disadvantages.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on Honda atv's