Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

snorkle makes my 4-wheeler run strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 11:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put a snorkle on my atv today and it iddles fine but when it gets to 3 thousand rpm or higher it seems boged down really bad. i put 2 inch pipe on it for the snorkle. whats wrong, need help,
thanks.

Old 03-03-2001, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Is it a 2 inch diamater pipe or a 2 inch radius one? I'd measure the stock snorkel and buy pipe the same size, sounds to me like your rancher isnt getting enough air.

Old 03-03-2001, 09:18 AM
Range Rover

I would say that it is running rich. I assume you put an extension of some kind to keep your air inlet out of the water. If that inlet isn't wide enough the less air the engine can suck in for combustion. The longer the extension is the hard it is for the engine to suck in air. If you stay with the same diameter intake but increase its length you will need to rejet to a small jet to compensate for the lack of air. If you dont want to mess with rejetting then you need to modify your snorkle. First take it off to make sure the problem goes away. Then try a larger diameter extension but a shorter length. It may take some trial and error to get it to run correctly at the length you want. I am sure one of the very bright people here know the forumla for finding the exact diameter you need provided they know the length you want to use.
I was just talking to someone yesterday about jetting issues. He cut the end off of his stock air inlet and had to go from a 92 or 95 main jet to a 110 to keep the engine from running too lean. Its the exact oppisite of your problem but I mention it just to show how touchy the whole system is to change.

Old 03-03-2001, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

the pipe is 2 inch diameter, but it looks like the same size as the stock air intake tube.

also, if it's not getting all the air it needs i had a idea by takeing a marine fan that they use to cool small compartments and mounting it atop the snokle and running it off the battery. i found this at wal-mart for 10 bucks and from my calculations it should deliver more than enough air to the engine, but im worried if this could tear anything up. tell me what you think.

Old 03-04-2001, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

I thought about the fan idea myself. The problem is it could make the engine run lean and overheat. On a forced air system you need somthing that measures the air flow and adjusts the fuel mixture to compensate, its much more complicated then that but for our purposes the discription is good enough. The probelm with the fan idea is that it would be forcing way too much air into the system at low RPMs. You could put a switch on the fan that you can easily hit when the engine reaches the RPM where it starts to bog down from too much fuel, but I think it might be to cumbersome and impratical to be much use. Another alternative would be to add a second intake to your air box. A one inch or inch and a half line going from the oppisite side of the airbox might provide anouth air to make up for the restrictions imposed by lengthening the original one. If the second line provided too much air you could simply put a valve on the line to restrict the air flow a little bit till you had it tuned in.

Old 03-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

i took my snorkle off and now it's runs fine, im wondering if a k+n air filter would solve my problems, it lets more air in so maybe everything would be balanced out. also is it hard to rejet a carb?

Old 03-04-2001, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

what a bout a ram-air sort of air intake? it would increase air intake as you increase speed... but I don't know anything about your quad, so this is entirely and idea, but not necessarily a suggestion.

Old 03-04-2001, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

i did somehting like that. i took a 90 degree elbow and put it at the top facing frontwards, it's the same size as the snorkle and dosent trap a lot of air. but i got some sheet meatal and try it out tommorow, i'll let you know the results.

Old 03-04-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

2 inchs is too big for a Rancher. What material are you using to make the snorkel? 1 1/2 inch PVC or ABS is plenty for a Rancher.

Old 03-04-2001, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

No rejetting a carb isn't hard, the key it being careful and keeping things clean.
Just remember though
Less Air + Less Fuel = Less Power

The major problem with the Ram type intake is that it requires moving through the air. Say you are stuck in a big mud hole, you think you can force enough air through the Ram to keep your motor from bogging down at 3000 RPM? A Ram Air system is good for things that are already moving through the air pretty fast, they do almost nothing at slow speed.

Quick Reply: snorkle makes my 4-wheeler run strange