Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TCS or Works front shocks for 400EX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 11:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of getting either the TCS 0 preload triple rates w/o rezzies or the Works triple rate w/o rezzies. Are the TCS shocks that much better to justify the higher cost? I'm sure the bike will handle slightly better with the TCS shocks because of the lowered ride height with the 0 preload. I also realize that any aftermarket shocks will most likely make a night and day difference in the ride of my 400EX. I don't race, so i don't need the rezzies, but the adjustability would be nice. Will the performance of either shock suffer by not using rezzies? I know the non-rezzie shocks will fade faster, but like i said, i don't race, i just trail ride and look for that next big-jump. How many of you guys are always changing your settings on the rezzies anyways?

Old 03-07-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

What are rezzies?

Old 03-07-2001, 01:12 PM
87r
Range Rover

Grim,

I put Works trip rates with rezevoirs on my 250R last year and they made a HUGE difference in handling and hard landings. I don't doubt that TCS or PEP are much better shocks but the for the money the Works are WAAAAAAAAAY better than stockers - especially if you are heavier like me.

Old 03-07-2001, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

Reservoirs smart a-s.

Old 03-07-2001, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply 87R.

Old 03-07-2001, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

I have the TCS on my 400EX. I change the rezzies for each different type of terrain I ride. changing the adjustability makes a world of difference. If you have the money, buy shocks with adjustable rezzies. There is nothing worse than cheaping out on a purchase and then regretting it later.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Grim,

I've got the Works triples with no rezzie. They are just awesome for jumping and thrashing about the mine hills. I have to land a HUGE jump, with no landing for them to bottom out. The only problem is now my rear shock is bottoming, because the fronts can handle the larger airtime.

I know you said you don't race but I gotta tell ya they didn't work as well as I had hoped for racing. I now wish I would have spent the extra for zero preload TCS or better. At least something with some sag anyway. If you think there is any chance you might ever race, go for the TCS with rez.

I bought mine from magic racing in MI. They were here in two days! I am quite happy with them for thrashing and jumping, but not for racing.

Good luck,
phil

Old 03-08-2001, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Actually I did not know.

Old 03-08-2001, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Question for anyone- why would you want zero preload on your shocks? What does that do for handling. I'm thinking about getting new shocks too but am confused about what features I should get. One thing I have heard is that triple rates are generally for people who weigh under 150 pounds.

I like the looks of the Works Pro Series piggy-back shocks. I'm also looking at shocks from Elka Suspension.

Old 03-08-2001, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

I would go with works, or proaction suspension. Proaction are works with their valving and guts. o preload are not that great they are over priced. Proaction sells works and they set them up to run about 3 inches of sag so it lowers the ride height. Philzie, the reason your shocks weren't as good on mx is because with out the rezzys, the oil heats up. When the oil heats up it become thinner. The rezzys allow the oil to flow back and forth between the body and the rezzy to cool the oil so they don't fade. You can also buy works and if your not happy send them to tcs to get them turned into tcs 0 preloads and that way your not out of any money.

Quick Reply: TCS or Works front shocks for 400EX?