Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so than dose that thing run hotter than ?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Less voltage is required to jump between two sharp points than it does to jump between two round points which leaves more voltage to "flow" across the gap which in turn ignites more fuel.
How does the voltage light "more" fuel if the plug lights?
Once the plug fires and the flame starts its good to go.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

well all I want to know is why do people keep telling me to stay away from them ????

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The major advantage of a plat with fuel injected cars is they last a Looooooooooog time.
Ever wonder why the plugs of now days last 100K in cars and lets say in the 60's 15K plug changes were recomended?

Well it has 0 to do with the material they are made of. The answer is way back in the day they did not have very good oil and fuel control. If you ran them to 25 35 or 50K, more than likely they would be oil and or fuel fowled and you would get a misfire.

Most quads have carbs (just like the cars of the 60's) and they don't have very good fuel control. (At least when we compair them to modern SEFI.

With the small center and ground electrode they can fowl very easy. Even the smallest crud that gets inbetween the two will cause a misfire.

There is no power advantage and they can cost what, 5 times as much?
You can change your plug out every year for five years with regular plugs.

Why use them if the ONLY advantage is they don't wear very fast?

Save your money and put it in the gas tank when gas hits 5 bones / gallon this summer!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Doctorturbo. Once a spark is present, the fuel ignites. It doesn't matter how HOT the spark is, it is not going to increase power. However, because of the longevity of platinum plugs, if your plug is hard to access, then spend the money for a plat. If it's easy to access, get regular plugs. My Ford F150 takes 4 hours to change plugs. Hell, it takes 45 minutes before I can get to the first one ! That is a platinum job for sure.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when less voltage is required to fire the plug then you have more left over which maintains the flow of voltage across the gap for a longer period of time, easy to see and demonstrate with an oscilloscope

not all of the fuel is ignited when the voltage first ionizes the gap

several auto manufactures had multiple fire ignitions systems for this very reason at lower rpms

I'm sure that in all reality it is not a concern here nor in the ATV world

Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
The major advantage of a plat with fuel injected cars is they last a Looooooooooog time.

Well it has 0 to do with the material they are made of.
so you're telling me that a conventional spark plug will last 100,000 miles in a newer engine??

Then why did spark plugs installed at the factory only have plat on the eletrode that the voltage arced from?? It wouldn't have antyhing to do with wear would it?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think what he's saying is platinum plugs last long, not regular ones.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Originally Posted by Specta
when less voltage is required to fire the plug then you have more left over which maintains the flow of voltage across the gap for a longer period of time, easy to see and demonstrate with an oscilloscope
True. But again, what difference does it make? Once that fuel mix is lit off it will burn until 98 to 99% of the hydrocarbon is burnt up.
Sure, if you have a hard fuel such as alkie or nitro to light off, a long duration spark is a good thing because it gives the mixture a longer time to light the mixture off. We are not talking about these fuels though. Gasoline on a low compression engine is easy to lite and it does not need anything fancy to lite the mix.

not all of the fuel is ignited when the voltage first ionizes the gap
Again, so? Combustion is a burning process. It starts from a flame kernel and goes from there. Sure you might get the kernel to start faster but so what? You can adjust timing to very that.

several auto manufactures had multiple fire ignitions systems for this very reason at lower rpms
What OEM engines had multi spark? Please give me a link because I don't know of any. It dosen't mean there are none out there. It just means I know of none. (But I would like to learn of them if they are out there)

I'm sure that in all reality it is not a concern here nor in the ATV world
Agree 110%.

All in all if, Iridium plugs put out any more power you would see them in every NHRA pro-stock in the US. After all, with those guys races are won or lost by 10's of thousands of a second.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

so you're telling me that a conventional spark plug will last 100,000 miles in a newer engine??

Then why did spark plugs installed at the factory only have plat on the eletrode that the voltage arced from?? It wouldn't have antyhing to do with wear would it?
That's what the OM said would happen in my mid 90's Olds. And that is indeed what happened.
I pulled the plugs in it at 100K and guess what? They were regular old AC Delco plugs. Still in pretty good shape!!! No plats, no iridium, nothing fancy at all!! Just the same old same old.

To sum it up. Here is pretty much how I feel about plugs.
Ignition Systems and Spark Plugs

BTW I'm not ******* on MSD. I have 2 of their systems and really like them on my boosted engines. But even with 15 LBS of boost the old points type system and AC plugs ran just fine.

Quick Reply: Rincon spark plug question