Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

wont start WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear about the spark.

You might take the aircleaner off and hold the throttle wide open and see if gas is "running" into the cylinder intake. If so, you have a stuck float.

I would suggest tapping the bowl with a screwdriver handle, or better yet take the carb. off and flip it upsidedown and rightside up a few times. Try to free up the float.
That is very good advice right there.
I have not had good luck with tapping the bowl..........but hey, it's free and easy and I like both of those!!!

If worse comes to worst, just take the carb off and clean it up. (If you know how?)

By the way, you don't have dumb questions. Believe me; I've seen dumb qustions on this forum, and you have not posted any.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
Good to hear about the spark.

You might take the aircleaner off and hold the throttle wide open and see if gas is "running" into the cylinder intake. If so, you have a stuck float.

That is very good advice right there.
I have not had good luck with tapping the bowl..........but hey, it's free and easy and I like both of those!!!

If worse comes to worst, just take the carb off and clean it up. (If you know how?)

By the way, you don't have dumb questions. Believe me; I've seen dumb qustions on this forum, and you have not posted any.
Hey Thanks DOC! If I do need to clean the Carb, which ibhave never done on any vehicle of any sort. How do I go about that? Are there instructions somewhere for taking it apart and putting it back together? Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright Doctorturbo, more info.....

I pulled the air filter off, held the throttle wide open and turned it over and didn't see any gas "running" into the airbox. Although it was wet with gas when I pulled the air filter off.

I think the problem, however, is the air filter itself. The foam sleeve around it was horrible dirty. Almost a friggin birds nest all around it.

Next question: what's the best way to wash that? Just wash it with water and let it dry? Or what?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

If it's a foam filter, wash it in warm water with dish soap. It'll be messy. Keep squeezing and squeezing. Try not to tear it. Then rinse it until all the soap is out. Then wring it out really good and put either filter oil or 30w motor oil on it. You want it saturated with oil but not dripping.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool. Got it cleaned now waiting for it to dry out.

And Dr.Turbo this is going out o you, I think you were right about spark. Although the plug had good spark, I out in a fresh one it it fired in the first try. Of course, I also had the dirty filter sleeve off. (I out the filter on and wrapped it with a towel just to try starting it) but at least it LIVES!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Right on!!!! Glad you got it going!!

Funny story about the spark. When I'm the track I have people tell me they have no spark and ask what to do. I ask them are they sure? They almost always say yes. I then tell them to stick their finger in one of the plug wire boots so I can crank it over.

They then almst always say are you F%^%$#@^ crazy, I'm not going to do that!!! I ask why not; you just told me your SURE you have no spark, so what's the problem?LMAO. They then say, well, lets check again!!!

Anyway, good to see you got it going!!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Just because a plug sparks when you hold it against the head when it's out, doesn't mean it'll spark under compression. I learned this the hard way. Had spark out in the open so I ruled out the plug. Did tons of other work trying to get it to run. Finally spent $3 on a new plug and bingo.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, the enrichment cable goes to the carb (make sure that is not binding up).

There is also a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl of the carb.