Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon vs. Foreman - plz help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by taxman

I know of guys that plow snow with 420 Ranchers with no problems, so I would think that either a Foreman or Rubicon could do the job. Definitely wouldn't want a belt-drive CVT tranny when I'm pushing snow---even without diff lock a gear-driven tranny will push more snow without burnt belts.
Ever hear of a non CVT 4x4 win a ATV dead pull contest or mud run? They Do not even make a non belt Drive 4x4 ATV over 40hp but they sure make many CVT ATVs that are between 35 and 80hp.

The three most Powerful 4x4 ATVs that are not Belt drive are the 27hp 500 Foreman, 32hp 500 Rubicon and 39hp 680 Rincon. All off which have no true AWD and are the lowest in power for there displacement class.

Tie a 3x4 500 Foreman or Rubicon to a 35hp 500 Sportsman or 500 King Quad while in low range and have a tug of war and the Belt drive ATVs with true AWDs will tear them a new one.

Here is a ATV in 3x4 before engaging AWD at 39 secounds into video. Nuff said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIfiMyvVmcg

OR

You can put on the nicest wheels and lift on a 3wd non diff lock ATV but you end up with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pVWn...eature=related Its not me, it,s just a law of physics that 4 wheels pull harder then 3.

They do not put low range and diff lockers on ATVs for nothing.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CVTs are nice and Polaris builds the worst cvt trans for an atv out of everyone.

Every time you start to work it you need to put it in low range to "save the belt" so it won’t leave you hanging busted somewhere out on the trail.

I wouldn't own a Polaris, "true 4-wd" or not.

Video: Mark - YouTube

Can you tell me why I'm the one at the top of the hill after cutting the trail on my "3x4" no hp Rubicon and these new 750 KQs with "locking" front differentials, more hp and brand new Maxxis Big Horns (pos for tires) can't make it up??

There's also a Polaris 400 2-stroke with "true 4-wd" that barely made it up even after the other two finally made it up.

Imagine that. The one with "true 4-wd" and new BHs was having a hard time keeping up with the old “3x4” Honda.

I know 4-wd is more aggressive than 3-wd but it's only a small part of the package.

Either one of those ATVs will plow snow just fine.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Can you tell me why I'm the one at the top of the hill after cutting the trail on my "3x4" no hp Rubicon and these new 750 KQs with "locking" front differentials, more hp and brand new Maxxis Big Horns (pos for tires) can't make it up??
You ripped and tore up the ground when you went first. LOL Still Looks like fun though.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Specta
CVTs are nice and Polaris builds the worst cvt trans for an atv out of everyone.

Every time you start to work it you need to put it in low range to "save the belt" so it won’t leave you hanging busted somewhere out on the trail.

I wouldn't own a Polaris, "true 4-wd" or not.

Video: Mark - YouTube

There's also a Polaris 400 2-stroke with "true 4-wd" that barely made it up even after the other two finally made it up.

Imagine that. The one with "true 4-wd" and new BHs was having a hard time keeping up with the old “3x4” Honda.

I know 4-wd is more aggressive than 3-wd but it's only a small part of the package.

Either one of those ATVs will plow snow just fine.
Interesting---I didn't know that about Polaris. They actually recommend that you use low range to save the belt?? Good grief----I'm glad that I bought the Rancher to plow snow with this winter...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You use low range under heavy load conditions and it also crawls better in low also with less wheel spin then in high range on technicial sections. Since low is good up to 25mph it no big deal ,who plows at faster than that.

The moral of the story is while in low the Polaris will pull/push harder and while in High it will also go quicker and faster, if they are of the same displacement. Even the new XP550 has more power then the larger 680 Rincon.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'm awaiting the arrival of my new 550 touring eps.
I was happy when I found out it was red.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
You ripped and tore up the ground when you went first. LOL Still Looks like fun though.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
You ripped and tore up the ground
That's what Hondas do. LOL

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Here is a ATV in 3x4 before engaging AWD at 39 secounds into video. Nuff said. Grizzly 700 on a technical, rutted, snowy climb... - YouTube
there's always variables in every situation, just like my video.

crumby tires IMO were the biggest factor there and why at about 1.30 into he video was only one rear tire turning??

Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own a rancher, rubicon, and a polaris ATP. between the foreman and rubicon, i recommend the rubicon, you will not be disappointed. be sure to test drive them first of course!

as for belt vs. hydrostatic, 3 1/2 vs AWD, i have yet to test both in winter. the polaris does have more maintenance to perform, but has plenty of power and i am a fan of their awd system. i have gotten myself in the habit of shifting into neutral or park when at a standstill with the engine running on the polaris, as the tranny will wear the belt if you leave it in gear and arent moving. they should fix that, the honda's dont have that problem.

i look forward to plowing with both this winter to compare them!

Quick Reply: Rubicon vs. Foreman - plz help me choose