Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Installing new seat cover on Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new seat cover on Rubicon

My Honda Rubicon seat needs to be recovered so I bought a seat cover through a local Honda store and would like to do this myself. How hard are these to install? Does the old original cover absolutely need to be removed? Do you have to use a certain type of staples and staple gun?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Angler,

I have a canvas & upholstery shop and have done several of these. I use the standard air stapler. The thing to keep in mind is the "depth" of the staples. Be sure to staple "into" the direction of the plastic/mold/frame of the actual seat, to keep the ends of the staples from sticking thru the outside. The mid left and right sides are especially important to keep this in mind on.

Also, when I do it, I make them custom color, pattern, etc, and is more difficult than the factory made to install. I don't believe you'll have any problem.

By the way, you can use a very thin plastic bag/piece to put between the foam and the actual vinyl cover, to aid in allowing the fit easier.

Good Luck,

Chris

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

check this site out for more help

DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's very simple as long as you pay attention to how the staples are when you remove them,use the same length n gauge staples,and orient the cover properly.. Laying the new cover out in the sun for an hour to heat it up,n allow it to stretch helps a lot n keeps the cover from being sloppy loose when you're done...Use a couple pairs of plastic clamps to helps you to trial fit the cover as many times as needed to get it right before you start stapling...Angle the staples inwards away from the seats outer edges...Good luck!!!