Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

About Polaris(Please Read)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I am a Honda guy and I thaught I would tell you this. Well My Grandpa has a 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 and the thing always breaks. Get this I was just riding around on it with my cousin and we hear something go pop, so we stop the ATV and look at the back and the Driveshaft that connects directly with left back wheel just broke off. We were not doing anything on it but riding up dirt roads and stuff. And also you can be in gear and be going forward and the reverse light will be on and so will the neutral light. I don't know what in the crap is wrong with it. But here's the catch, My uncle has a 1992 HONDA FOURTRAX 300 4x4 and its a 92 model and it has never had ONE problem ever except for my cousin burning the clutch out which she shouldn't of done. The way she burned out the clutch was she would be moving about 30 MPH and she would be in like 4th gear and she would stop and never downshift, Then she would try to get it going again in 4th gear and she would push the throttle in all the way and she burned the clutch. She should have new better but that was not HONDA'S fault that was simply Human error. I guess Polaris needs to get there act together. Hats off for HONDA. I will always ride RED. Thanks MATT.

Hopefully soon to have a 2001 400ex(RED)

Old 03-19-2001, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

HEY ENUF BASHING,ANYTHING WILL BREAK DOWN IF ITS NEVER TAKEN CARE OF.AND AS FOR AS POARIS GETTING THEIR ACT TOGETHER,I THINK YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START TALKING.DONT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY BUT EVERTIME I GET ON HERE ITS ABOUT SOMEBODY BASHING ANOTHER BRAND.THE BASHING DONT BOTHER ME BUT STATING THE FACTS DOES. OH WELL JUST MY 2-CENTS WORTH.JUST BE HAPPY U STILL HAVE A PLACE TO RIDE.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not in support of the bashing but this is the Honda forum, right? Why does stating the facts bother you and not the bashing, as you wrote Polecat? Also, please don't right in all caps, thanks!

Old 03-19-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Grow up. This is a Honda forum, not a bashing forum. Was this so important to you that you had to post it here? And to top it off you put "(Please Read)" in the title making it seem as though you actually had something important to say. And this is all coming from someone that does not even own a quad at all. (It says so right in your signature).

And you know what, it would not matter if this was about Polaris, Yamaha, Kawi, or any other. No matter what you look immature.

By the way, is your Uncles 1992 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 really a 92 model? I would have never guessed. That whole 1992 thing threw me off I guess.

Old 03-19-2001, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

I am sorry guys, I was not trying to start something

Old 03-19-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Got a stupid question, why keep it? why keep an atv that breaks down and literally falls apart while riding it? I never understood that, I would have gotten rid of it and bought seomthing else. Does not make a bit of sense to me to keep a junk around, why do you ride it? there are other more reliable machines at your disposal. why jump on the broken or soon to break Sportsman when the Honda never breaks, Why put yourself through the trouble of having to walk back to the house?

Old 03-19-2001, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

Ok....I have no problem with just stating the facts or, truth be told, a little bashing hehehe...I do have a problem with basically useless information and faulty logic.

An old Honda holds up well while an old Polaris doesn't. As most people know, Polaris has had quality problems in the past. This is not in dispute by me. Makes me glad I have a new one! LOL Where exactly does a problem with old models become something where....

quote: "I guess Polaris needs to get there (sic) act together." ?

We get no background at all on the Sportsman 500's problems. That could be "human error" also. But it is universally assumed (by the poster and many others I suspect) that the Polaris has problems because it is a bad design.

If someone had posted this in the Polaris forum stating the Sportsman had no problems except for "human error" and the Honda had a clutch that just burns out for no reason (hehe) I wonder what would be said and most importantly, would it mean anything to any of us?

Is there anything of use in this thread except for a cautionary tale of living with un-maintained ATVs and the woes associated with it.

Personally, I think if anyone has an old ATV (regardless of brand) and it is a dog, I agree with Xepathfinder. Fix it or dump the Turd! hehehehe....

Polaris has come a long ways since then. If you are going to criticize them, do it because they haven't made a competitive sport quad yet. At least you would be on firmer ground than relating 6 year old quads to a manufacturers current production line.

Regards,

Mr"Hey I didn't even mention wanting a "True 4x4 Sport Quad" in this post"Man

oops....

Old 03-19-2001, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

hey 2-fifty is this better i wouldnt want to upset anbody by writing with all caps on MY COMPUTER.as for facts i meant dont say all polaris are junk to u can back it up.still say we need to worry about a place to ride instead of bashing..

Old 03-19-2001, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I think that other peoples' crappy machines don't cost YOU money, so why worry about it? However, I do take my hat off to Honda, for their machines have always been durable, and excelent workers. My Honda 450S weighs 573.2 pounds, whereas the new Polaris 400 quad wieghs in at a massive 719 pounds. Now, I am not into bashing, but 145.8 pounds extra would infer that it should be indestructable, period. Not "having its problems in the past...". Ride Red. And, to the one who posted earlier, we should be aware that our riding land is quickly diminishing, and we should be saving it!

Old 03-19-2001, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Man I tell ya you guys are all over this bashing shi*. The guy comes to give a few facts about something breaking on his relative's polaris and how he likes his 1992 atv and you jump down his throat, I mean the only possibly near bashing comment I noticed was "I guess polaris needs to get there act together". Chill out.
Well I guess it's time for you get my case right?

Quick Reply: About Polaris(Please Read)