Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with Rubicon Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a few hours of riding today my rubi stalled when I stopped to take a break. Upon pushing the start button all I could hear was a clicking noise coming from under the seat. On lifting the seat I found that it was coming from a round cylinder that is behind the battery in a bracket that is screwed to the plastic. From this cylinder are two main wires that attatch to battery. Finding nothing loose I used the pull starter to start the quad and it got me home with no problems. Now when starting the quad with the pull starter again the quad cuts out when I put it in gear or when I turn the lights on which leads me to believe I have a short somewhere. I will admit I was in a lot of water today but nothing crazy. I have 600 miles on the quad with no other problems other than todays. Other than the clicking noise coming from the cylinder I have no clue. I am covered under warranty but I would like to find the cause of the problem instead of the dealer replacing a bunch of parts and have it happen again. Any help or thoughts on where to begin and if anyone could tell me what that cylinder is would be appreciated.(I knew I should have ordered that service manual!)

Old 03-26-2001, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

That cylinder is your starter sylenoid they usually click when the battery is low check your battery connections and also check your grounds I recomend you bring it to your dealer since it would be covered under warrenty and trying to fix an electrical can be very frustrating if you dont have any experience.

Old 03-27-2001, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

Today I took it to the dealer and it was the battery. He put in a new one and it started right up. The hard part is finding where the power drain is coming from. I hope it is something simple as a loose ground wire. Will post findings tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2001, 08:07 AM
Trailblazer

Have them check your charging system if its not charging it will drain they should also do a system draw test to see if it is drawing current while the unit is off.

Old 03-27-2001, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Today they gave me a new battery and did a system draw test to see if anything was drawing on the battery and everything checked out fine. Only thing they could come up with was a faulty battery. They charged it overnight but it still would not hold an acceptable charge. Hopefully this will be an end to my problem but Ill know for sure after a few days of riding.

Old 04-02-2001, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well sure enough the battery drained again after a few days of riding. This time the dealer checked the quad after the engine was warmed up and sure enough the system is not charging. Conclusion this time was a faulty stator so he is going to replace that. Any one else have this kind of problem with thier rubicon or any other quad for that matter? Any guess as to what may cause this to happen?

Old 04-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey just curious did they replace the battery for free, cause my recon is under warranty for 4 years and i'm just wonderin if thats covered under it

and i do have a prob. with mine stallin a couple of times, i don't know what it is really, but i don't think mine is the battery cause the electric start still works

Old 04-02-2001, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

They replaced it for free even though it wasnt covered under the extended warranty.

Old 04-02-2001, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

If you only had looked at my post to have them check the charging system you could have saved yourself one less trip to the delearship. I have seen brand new electrical parts bad, I doubt anything caused it just a bad stator in the batch

Old 04-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Another update. They now say its not the stator but the regulator. Its the square black thing with fins on it under the right fender. Why it failed they have no idea but its a lot better than the stator being replaced I guess.