Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

07 Rancher es will not shift, help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rancher es will not shift, help...

07 Rancher es 420 2wd with 240 hours, 457 miles. My daughter took it out riding in the mud, brought it home, washed it no problem. I told her to rewash it and get the all the mud off. Now it will not shift, took all electric connections loose and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner, bought new angle sensor, put that on, and still will not shift out of neutral. I tried the manual shifter to put in gear, no luck, it will not budge. What am I missing, I don't know where to look next. It does not click or make a sound when pushing the gear up or down buttons. Starts and idles fine, but will not move an inch. Help please. Oh forgot to add Neutral indicator is blinking 2 slow then 2 fast flashes if that is any help

Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks guys!

What a crock of ****, not one person on this board has a friggin clue? Guess I go see the local retard at the Honda shop for his help.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure noth is jamed into the shift levers and check to make sure you do not have a blown fuse.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Bamajeff
What a crock of ****, not one person on this board has a friggin clue? Guess I go see the local retard at the Honda shop for his help.
LOL... Okay then.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do a "My E.S will not shift" in the search option of this site or goggle it.
You will be reading for days.
The question has only been asked thousands of time for the last 10 years.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamajeff
I had to work on a couple early models that had problems even though I didn't want to... They didn't want to take em to their Honda dealer. One had corrosion in the switch itself that solved his problem cant' remember what we did to the other one,but maybe this guy's post will help.Plenty of people on the forum that can help you,but being civil about it may help get you more answers! http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...ml#post3104273

Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sorry guys!

Sorry I let my frustration come out, after working for hours, searching here, google, and youtube I was at my wits end. But it was here after much searching that I read about the carbon build up on the shift motor and fixed my shifting problem. Now if I can just get my clutch to engage I will be riding again. I backed it clockwise at least 3-4 full turns, then tighten till I felt resistance backed up a quarter turn and nothing. Can't get her to move an inch. Clutch never slipped before, never any problem running or shifting till few days ago. Could standing it up on the rear rack for a couple hours while working on it have let oil soak the clutches or something?? Also if I use the emergency tool and shift into 1st it will pull, but slipping like crazy while doing it.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Like I mentioned I'm not a Honda atv guy, but does sound like clutch slipping from your description. Could have affected it standing on end?,but others can probably give you better advice. Don't know if this is your exact model,but shows the centrifugal clutch along with the motorcycle type clutch. The Polaris Expedition 425 is basically set up the same way on the clutches. May just take pulling the cover and cleaning the clutch plates up along with the centrifugal clutch to solve it or may need new plates? Dirt Cheap Honda & Arctic Cat OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Outlet PLUS don't know if this is like the old Hondas I've worked on(ancient ones) that had the adjuster screw outside the case to adjust pressure on the clutch?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry! Missed your comment on the adjuster screw! I always just adjusted it until a light resistance was felt and backed off 1/8 turn and tightened the lock nut. If this doesn't help then you can pull the cover and check the adjuster system out, plus try to deglaze the fiber and steel plates with emery clock,but don't know if this would help that much. If you end up having to replace the fiber plates(steel plates can usually be reused if not warped or burnt looking) I'd go with Barnett or Vesrah. Just my on this one.Plus don't over look the centrifugal clutch and drum for any wear or damage.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you take the hand shifter on hold it up an bimp the throttle afew times an then release the hand tool shifter will it help any bout pulling? what oil have you been using in atv? have anyone been pulling any thing heavy or not been shifting down at slow speeds?Sorry for all the question just trying to get an lil history on atv.Thanks for understanding

Quick Reply: 07 Rancher es will not shift, help...