Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Up Keep

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Up Keep

Hi Everyone,

Looking to buy a used quad again...been about 7-8 years since I had one. Just want something to hit the trails with once it a while. Won't get ridden a ton so I was wondering what the up keep is like on these machines? Looking at a pretty clean 2004 right now, but want to make sure it's ready to ride when I need it. Haven't rode one before, but people seem to really like them and look like a fun machine to ride. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks, J

Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm, I have a 400ex. Love it, will never get rid of it unless my daugther needs the money. =) If you think its a solid bike then i would grab it right up. Upkeep is really not too bad, change the oil and filter after like 10 to 15 hours of hard riding, throw a trickle charge on the battery once in a while, more often in the winter as its a warm season machine and takes a little more to start it in the winter months.

I would make sure its not blowing smoke, check the rear bearing carrier bearings, make sure those are in good shape cause its a pain to change. You will know if they are bad if there is a grinding noise coming from the rear. Clutch cable can break often, but an easy and cheap fix. I always buy 2 when 1 breaks so that i have an extra.

All in all, its a solid bike, ive had my 2000 for 10 years now and only had to replace the normal wear and tear things from riding it so much.

Hope you enjoy!
Chad

Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

400ex is a great machine, as long as it's well maintained. I suggest to have an additional budget for any future repairs. And if you are not mechanically inclined ask some help on how to choose a good machine for your need. But if I were in your shoe, I would do a regular PMS to avoid expensive repairs.

Check below.

1. Change and replace all fluids (oil, brake, radiator etc)
2. Check the state of the brake line and tires, replace as needed.
3. Have a load test to determine the condition of the charging unit and battery.
4. Clean the fuel system.
5. Replace bushings and seals as needed.
Hope it helps.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400ex is a solid machine. I love mine and never let me down. some areas that need to be checked over are the chain and sprockets, rear carrier bearings. The valves should be adjusted every season or at least checked. I would run some Sta-bil or equivalent through the carb when you get it and before its stored for a while. The only problems that I have heard is the timing chain tensioner gets worn out and wont hold tension on the cam chain. its real easy to replace and doesnt require the motor to be taken apart. I havent had it happen on mine yet. also you should lube the cables every season.