Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what do i need to beat a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately for the EX a pipe and airbox doesn't do much, but on a Raptor it really wakes it up. My buddies piped EX against my piped Raptor is no comparison. I can let him leave first and I'm 4 quad length's ahead by second gear. Not even a comparison on the top end. I'm in another county by the time he tops out. As for the handling issue: a 4" wider axle evens up the handling. Don't get me wrong, I love Honda's. But the Raptor and the EX are in different classes. They should not even be compared. You can't expect a 400cc bike to be competetive with a 660cc bike.

Old 04-07-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

The dinosaur wins in the sand by a large margin, even more if the speeds pick up. Honda wins in handling, hands down. Spend all you want on a 400, you'll have to run race gas, and still be air cooled, and falling behind. 400 is a great quad, don't get me wrong.

Old 04-07-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe,

At mobiledyno.com there is a dyno chart of a stock Raptor at 37 HP. There is also one of a 400EX bored out to a 440 with exhaust and numerous other mods that is still only at 36HP. So obviously it takes a good deal of work to get that engine in the mid to upper 30's. I know that the mods on that 400EX listed are WAY over a grand and it would probably be able to take a stock Raptor. But that is alot of $$$. Also when considering modifying a 400EX for about $1000. Everyone's $1000 isn't the same. What if someone doesn't know how to rejet, or put in a cam?? Then they have to pay someone else to do it, which most likely at today's rates will cost several hundred more dollars. Just think of the amount of time you spend putting in your mods, then think how much it would have cost you to pay $50 an hour to have someone else do it.

Old 04-07-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, I listed the prices I paid for the mods I listed. I can give you the names, addresses, and phone numbers of where to get all that done at that price if you like (except the carb - it was purchased by a friend that has connections to the streetbike racing world - street price would be about $50 more). All this is granted, you can disassemble and reassemble the engine yourself. Even if you couldn't, engine tear down and reassembly shouldn't cost a whole lot unless you're paying for a "Race engine" builder's name and advertising. For instance, I can go from having the quad in the back of my truck, to having the cylinder in my hand and on the way to the machine shop in less than 45 minutes (ahh, the simplicity of the air-cooled engine).

Don't base all your info on one dyno run of one engine combo.... I've been thru countless runs from several dyno operators, I've done the mods, I've beat Raptors in the straights and the holeshot at the races - have yet to be beaten in either since doing my mods. Not all mods are equal (pipe vs FCR carb for instance - same price, BIG difference in performance gained), and that was a good portion of the meaning of my post. I could have spent over twice as much on my bike and ended up with less power than I have, if I hadn't chosen what I did wisely.

Also don't forget that a 36hp 400EX can feel more powerful and can beat a Raptor in a drag race due to the weight and power delivery differences.

If you don't have the necessary skills to disassemble your engine and reassemble it, jet it, etc.... Then, yes - expect to pay more. Also, if you plan on having a fast bike, these will be necessary skills that you really need to know how to do to keep your bike fast. I was simply stating that it is not by ANY means an impossible goal to beat a Raptor for under $1000.

The cool thing about my setup: My bike is still quiet, I can still ride it in noise sensitive areas, I have Raptor+ power, I have better handling than a Raptor, and I don't have to run race gas - though I do choose to run a race/pump gas mix for added insurance.

All that said, yes, the Raptor's engine does have the potential to put out more overall power than a 400EX engine, that's obvious. The thing you have to realize is, if you use the ATV for what it was intended for, there is a level at which the extra power becomes more of a hinderance than it helps. Ever wonder why 500cc 2 stroke dirtbikes don't dominate all forms of racing? It's also well known that although the XR650 puts out serious power and excells at desert racing, it's not the choice for cross country (HS, GNCC, GP, etc), motocross, or even trail riding. It seems the dirtbike world matured past the
"bigger is better" point long ago. The physically larger engine also causes many compromises to have to be made on the Raptor's chassis - there were also some poor decisions made on the Raptor's layout.

Both the Raptor and 400EX are fine machines, both excel at being good sport quads - for what I do, I feel the 400EX is a far better choice, as it delivers the power I need (with appropriate mods), and has a better chassis with less compromises, and gets better fuel economy (which is a big help in those long races).

If I didn't race, if I wanted a machine that was one of the fastest out of the crate and was afraid to open the engine, and if I wasn't concerned about handling quirks on the trail - the Raptor may have been my choice.

Old 04-07-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

After reading that book you wrote, I think we agree on most things. And to sum it all up, we can say that it is possible, if you have the knowledge and abilities, to get a 400EX to keep up with a stock Raptor for around a grand. But its still not an option for every 400EX owner by any means.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

dont the dinosaur riders have there own forum?????? i have been going to this site for a long time,and since i own a honda i have no reason to visit the OTHER GUYS forum,so why dont you dinosaur riders go to the YAMY FORUM,and pat each other on the back for beating a bike that has 260cc less than yours.see ya!!!!!!!!!!!blaster,warrior,banshee,raptors,YUK!! !!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

We will stop coming into the forum as soon as you stop saying anything whatsoever about a Yamaha ATV, which you wont, and you shouldn't. That is how we help each other and have debates that lead to people getting more information, it is what the forum is all about.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

there is no reason why the "other guys" should stay out of the honda forum. we need their info, input, and opinions. If they weren't in here we would know almost nothing about raptors besides what we have read about them in the mags.

Old 04-09-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well since I just sold two 295r's and a 250r and currently own a 400ex I will comment here all I want. I was riding Hondas while you were still kicking slats out of your crib.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

Why dont you guys get over this whole Yamaha Honda thing. I, as well as many others, own one and read others just to be informed. I am looking into a 400ex and without these forums, I would not know anything about the hop ups for it and the tricks and quirks. We are all helping eachother here so get over your "macho" attitude and be happy we all have some place common to chat about what we all love to do - RIDE!!!!

Quick Reply: what do i need to beat a raptor