Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX estetical mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 08:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello people.

I just bought a new 2001 400EX last weekend, and I am really proud of it. I'm a new driver, not riding a lot, but I wanted a quad to bring some fun to my weekends. I'm not really interested in speed and/or performance. I like the stock quad the way it is (i know, my opinion will change soon!!). I wanted to put some extra money on it for estetical mods... Did sombody in the world even tought about making part that change the way the quad look like? Is there something that we can add to make it more attractive (visually)... and i'm not talking about stickers.

secondo.. where do you guys learn what mod do what, what is what, and what goes where? I mean, there is so much (speed and performance) mods out there.. how do you know wich one you need? is there a list of the most commonly used mods on 400EX and there utility?

Thank you.

Old 04-10-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

...so you want to learn as much as you can?... my only suggestion is- keep reading this forum. I've learned a crap-load of stuff off here- and ask questions. As for the first few hop-ups... go with a slip-on pipe and a K&N air filter... that right there changes your airflow and gives you more power.. Now that you have better air flow, you need to change the "main jet" size in your carb. You can buy a K&N dyno-jet kit- and it explains how to change the jet size. Lastly, and the CHEAPEST mod- is remove your air box lid. This lets the airfilter suck more air- again, you'll need to change the main jet to compensate for extra air flow (or your air/fuel mixture will be off).
For 15 bucks you can by a new front sprocket. Go with a smaller sprocket like a 13 or 14. This will give you more torque and bottem end- especially good for hill climbing- and it will help you pop wheelies. I put a 14t on mine and love it.

As for astetics- there is a company called "marier" or something like that- they sell different colored aftermarket plastic. Or you can cut your front fenders- making it look faster. a lot of mx racing bikes have done this. It allows you to see your front tires- and the terrain you are about to go over.

What kind of astetic mods were you thinking of? I think the 400ex looks bad-***!

Hope that helps

Old 04-10-2001, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

RotGutBottom, thank you for all that information (even if I only understand half of what you said). I'm not really a mechanical guy, but I like knowing how things works. One other question, where do you guys buy all this stuff? do you buy that from a Honda dealer? or another place? do you install them yourself?

As for the estetical part of the question, I don't really know what I want, since I never saw these kind of mods, exept for some kind of footstep people are installing.

Old 04-11-2001, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

Anybody else has pictures of such (or other) visual mods? or any name? or web site?

Old 04-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Get a catolog from Rocky Mountain ATV, and you will see that many dress-up accessories are avalible for the 400ex. Everything from chrome gas-cap's, to carbon-fiber headlight covers. Also, this forum is so great for finding out about mods. When I first came here I was like:4-wheelers r FUN! Now, I laugh at the ignorance of the workers at my local honda shop.

Old 04-11-2001, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

well well well... I'm gonna check with the honda dealer here what he has to offer (now that i know it exist).

by the way, i dont know how you learn things here... i'm the perfect newbie, and reading post in here since 2 months, i didn't learn a thing. exept reading people talk about thei upgrades and mod, but i dont know what does what, what is the best.. where do you learn more information about that?

Old 04-11-2001, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

well well well... I'm gonna check with the honda dealer here what he has to offer (now that i know it exist).

by the way, i dont know how you learn things here... i'm the perfect newbie, and reading post in here since 2 months, i didn't learn a thing. exept reading people talk about thei upgrades and mod, but i dont know what does what, what is the best.. where do you learn more information about that?

Old 04-11-2001, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

(m1cky)-

How could you not learn anything on these sites... People are dumping alot of info around in here-... maybe you aren't asking the "right" questions.- be specific... and also- leave your email, that way we can send you more personalized info-

I just got my 400ex a month ago- and I've learned a ton of stuff- changing the main jet, mods, etc...

maybe you need to just be more specific...

Old 04-12-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Check out my web site. It has a lot of aftermarket company links.