Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Deep Water Snorkel for 450S

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing a picture of a set up in a magazine and hearing people talk about it I decided to build a deep water snorkel for my 450. I've never actually seen other set ups for the 450, but I have on other bikes. Just wanted to hear some ideas from other Honda owners about setups for the deep water.

SwampMonster

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"

Old 09-17-1999, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, finally got to do some testing on the snorkel today.

Problem: Upon inspecting the factory air intake tube it is aproximately 1 1/2" in diameter. I then proceeded to run 2 pieces of tubing to the front of the bike and up beside the front rack bars. The 2 pieces that I ran were 3/4" diameter each, thus equaling the 1 1/2" of the single tube, but I believe that the extra length of the tubing is giving me problems. Now upon starting the bike I have to leave the choke on longer than before until the bike warms up a bit. Then I turn the choke off and the bike is fine for trail riding and the top speed has not suffered. But start crawling over or through stuff (i.e.: logs, mud, etc...) the engine bogs down and will shut off. If I turn the choke on when I try the logs and mud the bike runs fine!

The only thing I can think of is that it's not getting enough air. Any other suggestions?

SwampMonster

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!!"

Old 09-17-1999, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

When you increase a pipe size by two, you increase flow by four. Therefore a 1.5" pipe has four times the flow of a 3/4". Yes, it needs more air.

Old 09-17-1999, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Kirk, but I still ahave a question about the airflow. Like I stated before when I first start it up i have to use the choke for a few minutes until it warms up, but if I have the seat off and take the top off of the air box the problem is still the same. The motor will bog down and not rev up in neutral without the choke on. Confusing! I'm going to attempt a new strategy tommorrow, but any other input on this subject would be appreciated!

SwampMonster

Old 09-18-1999, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

SM,

If I am not mistaken, which I have been known to have been (occasionaly), the choke on your quad is like the one on my 300. When you "choke" the carb, you are increasing the fuel flow, not cutting air like on a vehicle.

Check you plug and see if it is black or grey. I am betting on grey which would indicate a lean mixture (more air than fuel)whereas black would incicate a rich mixture (more fuel than air). Make sure that when you are going to check your plug that you have been running the quad without the choke on.

Let us know what's up.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 09-18-1999, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Shane! You were correct. The engine was getting to much air. This morning I put a control valve on one of the snorkels where I can turn it on and off or in between. When one is off the low end power returns without the choke, but mid to top end suffers because it can not get enough air through the one tube. Open up the other one and it runs fine at speed.

Now I'm no mechanic at all when it comes to carburators, but would having my carb rejetted to allow for the increased airflow fix my problem?

Any suggestions appreciated.....

SwampMonster

Old 09-18-1999, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to say that after a full day of experimentation the final conclusion is that it was not getting enough air.....period! After fighting with it all morning and in to the afternoon I said screw it and went ahead and put another tube in it and PRESTO!!! Everything went to working properly again. The tube was temporary and I guess I'll spend tommorrow figuring out how to make it look neat.

Thanks for the interest that you guys took.

SwampMonster