Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

had a bad ride on the 250r

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001 | 10:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

Today I was riding the 250r.As soon as I pulled the clutch cable in it broke!The little end peice that goes in the lever came off.So I figure I never use the clutch anyway so I pop start it.I am going along fine get it warmed up and having a blast.

Anyway I start pickin up the pace on our track and jump across a creek.As soon as I land the chain comes off bunches up by the swingarm pivot and won't come lose.I walk up to the house get the tools and my dad comes down to it and grabs and the chain and he can pull it sideways alot.

Then I look at my pep easy pull clutch perch and lever only to find the cable adjuster gone!That like 10 bucks!

Know I have to get a new chain.I am thinking a renthal o-ring with a renthal 13/42 gearing.I am pretty sure that is one size smaller on the rear and stock front please corect me if I am wrong.

This stinks.Plus I found a 88 trx250r for 2 grand that I can't get!This day really sucks!

Old 04-13-2001 | 10:30 PM
Range Rover

WHERE DID U FIND THE 250R AT I AM LOOKING TO BY ONE

Old 04-13-2001 | 10:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

It is in st louis.I found it in the paper.The phone # is 1-636-978-6167

I talked to the guy he didn't sound like he knows much about it.He said it has a aftermarket pipe not sure on what kind.He just had the rear bearings and seals replaced.he said tha he had rolled it and cracked the plastic so he drilled holes and zip tied it.So it needs new plastic.He just got the top-end redone.

I talked to him at 5 pm today and he still had it.I wish I would get it especially now that mine is broke!

Old 04-13-2001 | 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Just because you broke some stuff on your quad you want a new one? Dude half the fun about owning a quad is working on them!

Old 04-14-2001 | 12:01 AM
|
Pro Rider

Dude I don't want to get rid of my 250r.The 88 is pretty cheap though and I have been lookinh for one.Most are around 3000-5000 for s stock one.

The guy was getting divorced and he needed the cash.I wish I could get it.

Old 04-14-2001 | 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like you need to do some maintenance on your 250r... i pity it, sounds like your running original parts on it with all the probs you have.

i saved my 250r from a kid like you. it was beat , but after spending $2,000 more on it shes looking better. but i can see spending another $2,000 on it.
get yourself a clymer and start seeing what needs to be replaced. if your replacing your chain your sprockets are probly gone to.

Old 04-14-2001 | 08:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

I do maintiance on my 250r after I ride it everytime!It was a brand new clutch cable.Motion pro with no more than 5 rides.I oil the chain with maxima chain wax after everyride.I always make sure the chain is tight.I check the oil before everyride.I have a clymer's manual.I a know how to work on it.And If I don't know how to do something I get my dad.My 250r is very well maintained.It runs excellent and performes excellent.I also lube my clutch cable about every 2 weeks even if I don't ride it.U have to replace the chain and sprockets at the same time if U don't it will wear everything out quicker.I am not some stupid kid I know what I am doing.I have been riding and working on atv's for 11 years.Since I was 4 years old.The clutch cable must have been faulty or something.I am not sure.Oh well luckily it broke when I have the money to fix everything.

ANd oh yeah to see how big of a piece of junk it is go here.

www.angelfire.com/me3/fmf86trx250r

I am sorry if I am being rude or something but I hate it when people judge people by one event or the their age.

Old 04-14-2001 | 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

hey it looks good.
but your the one always complaining about spark plug fowling and something wrong with it and if im right you were getting rid of it for a raptor also when it was easy to see the jetting in the carb was screwed.

i was just letting you know, check things out before you go for a ride. better to stay home until you can afford the parts than get stranded in the woods

Old 04-14-2001 | 11:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

It is apparent that the jetting is screwed.I assually r am running on tracks or in wideopen fields where it runs great.It is just on the rare occasions when I do get it in tight places it gets screwed.I am going to rejet right after I get a new cable and chain and sprockets.I am ordering them in probably the next 2 weeks.

I also have to order some parts for the 300ex and I would like to do that at the same time to.Not sure how much it will cost though.It needs a new airfilter,brake pads and both front fender brackets.
I have a question though.I jetted my bike when I was running a 50/1 ratio and now I run 32/1.Could this be the problem?It seemed like it was running a little sluggish last time I rode it.I think it was because I barely got it warmed up.

I am sorry for being rude and I hope U aceppt my apology.

Old 04-15-2001 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

invest in a case saver. Magic Racing in Michigan makes a nice thick one (unlike the thin flimsy ones from nacs)

Quick Reply: had a bad ride on the 250r