Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Prospector
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Prospector
Default Tach on a Recon

So, see a lot of folks wanting to install a cheap tach on their ATV's and about the only solution is one of the "Tiny Tach" type HR/Tach meters that use the spark plug wire for a sensor, inductive type stuff.. about 40-50.00..
All the small "Car type" analog sweep gauges for 4,6,8 cylinder don't work on a "wasted spark" setup.. Watched alot of YouTube videos of attempts, but the majority of them look like the tach isn't reading correctly.. So..

How about pulling the recoil housing and epoxy a small magnet on one of the tabs that catch the recoil mechanism and gut it out.. install a hall effect sensor along with a 4-place digital read out mounted somewhere you can see it?

Doubt the 250 engine will ever see 10,000 RPM.. also would be great for seeing idle speed while playing with the carb..
Cost:
Used Recoil housing.. 10.00
Ebay China digital read out w/Hall effect sensor.. 10.00
Little time for install and wiring.. free
Pull power from a wire that is hot when the key is on..

Keep your original pull starter to get you going in case of emergency.. 3 bolts and you are back in business..
Shipping on the sensor and read out is 10-15 days out.. and have to round up a used recoil housing.. but I will do the install and report back..

Attached Thumbnails Recon Bumpers..-s-l1600.jpg   Recon Bumpers..-s-l500.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Prospector

Found a recoil housing for 12.00 and the Proximity sensor showed up.. missing the magnet, so will have to steal one off the fridge.. will get done here this coming week, as I am busy with a Polaris Predator 90 I picked up for my Grandson.. has a Hetrick power up "B" kit(high compression head/pipe/cdi/26mm carb/reeds/Koso intake/clutch kit/oil injection delete) but has no spark, ordered a new stator for it and a +6" widening kit for the front.. also removed the footwells and modified a set of Honda 400EX Tusk nurf bars to fit and some Can-Am 600 footpegs.. Tires are like new, as they ran paddles the whole time they had it.. been sitting for 5 yrs in the garage.. 400.00

Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Prospector

Tusk 400EX modifications.. footpegs arrived Saturday along with the stator.. welding a set of front Spuds to mount the nurfs.. footpegs will end up in the stock location bolted to the aluminum risers.. still need to fab up a set of heel guards.. picked up the Tusk bars for 35.00 off CL

Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Prospector

Got the widening kit installed along with the foot pegs.. Stator tomorrow and see if it runs worth a crap.. have high hopes, compression is 120psi.. widening kit was easy, and besides flipping the ball joints end for end, it was pretty straight forward.. Kudos to Diamond J for the 139.00 kit!!!.. it's going to be WAY more stable with it being 6" wider in the front.. just wish the front shocks weren't as stiff as they are..even on the lightest settings.. needs something a little softer.. may look into it.. rear shock is perfect for an 80lb kid.. adjusted the drum brakes.. checked over all the hardware, and installed the kill tether.. safety first for those youngsters..
After I get it sorted out.. time for the pressure washer.. and a little bit of body repair(cracked plastics and broken mounts) Nuthin' a few aluminum brackets won't fix.. and a few tie-wraps... I got this!!!

Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Prospector
Default Recon

Hopefully the Recon will get a little attention soon.. tach, front disc conversion and the volt meter in an aluminum housing.. getting carried away with the Polaris.. Summer is just about here!!!!

Time to find some GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Prospector

Runs great !!! little headlights are only on when the stator is producing voltage(running)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Prospector

Ended up using the Tusk Nurf bar connector for a bumper.. made my own one piece spud for the Nurfs out of steel pipe with cutouts for the frame..

Old 05-07-2017, 04:38 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!! I have 2 wishes, 1 you were my neighbor. 2 we best friends!!!
Very nice work.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Prospector

Appreciate the kind words Hawkeye.. if we were neighbors, likely we would be in trouble with our wives.. and not get much of the "honey-do list" accomplished because of all the fun time spent riding..