Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 250R

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes the honda 250R so poplar? What makes it so special that everyone likes it? I am not trying to bash the 250R. I am sure it has alot of things going for it, i would just like to know what.

Old 04-18-2001, 03:30 PM
87r
Range Rover

My opinion:

I race motocross on bikes in the B class - will hopefully get bumped to A class after this year. I always thought quads were for playing around or for people that couldn't ride motorcycles - no offense guys. I have ridden Banshees, EX's, DS's, lots of polaris's and just about everything but a Raptor. Other than a Banshee (in a straight line only) I found all of them boring. That is some background so you know where this opinion is coming from.

I had never owned a quad, then I found a 87 250R in decent shape for $900 and bought it for the sole purpose of fixing it up a little and selling it on ebay for a profit. After some TLC I got it running and took it for a spin. I was shocked and amazed and it totally changed my opinion on quads! This thing absolutely ROCKS! In bone stock condition (with a tired topend) it was dead even with my buddies 400EX and I weigh 90 pounds more than him. After putting on a Paul Turner pipe, Rad valve, airbox mods, fresh topend and rejetting I can smoke that 400EX like his chain came off - it isn't even close. Drag racing is still not this quads best trait though (it is still no Banshee). It jumps and turns SOOOOOOO much better than ANY of the other quads I have ridden that it still amazes me. It feels so much lighter than the EX - I don't know if it is or not but it sure feels like it. We have a do-or-die 75 foot double on our practice track which is a piece of cake on my 2000 KX250 but noone had ever jumped it on a quad. I now do that jump every single time I ride the 250R at our track (after I got my Works Trip rates of course). I wouldn't even think of trying that on the EX although I am sure there are people jumping them that far somewhere.

Everytime I ride it and then jump on my buddies 400EX I am amazed that mine is 13 years older and is actually superior in my opinion.

You have to remember that I am used to 2 stroke motors and not thumpers - that may be why I like it so much compared to the EX. I also only ride MX on it - the EX is probably better in the woods - I have to clutch mine alot to keep it in the power band since I put a Paul Turner Eliminator pipe on it. I have $1500 less in mine than my friend has in his 400EX - he tries to buy it off of me every time he sees me. The only thing in my life that is not for sale and never will be is my 250R.

One last thing: look at what almost every pro rider is racing - a 250R.

Old 04-19-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

The pro's are not actually racing 250R's. Most have 250R plastic and engine cases (maybe), but that is about it. (that was an exaggerated statement, but hopefully you get my point)

Anyway I got a junk '87 and it does seem much lighter than my 400EX. I bought it with the intention of racing it, but it is going to take much more $$$ than I thought to get it race ready. The 2 stroke hit is much more exciting than the 400EX, and it just seems like it has a lot more power.

All Honda has to do is start making them again... I will be one of the first 2000 people in line to buy (get on the waiting list?) one.