Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex Exhausts all that noise for under 2hp!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I read the article too and used it to rib my friends with 400ex's. Now there is one thing to remember... All these tests were done with the airbox lid on and the stock filter...

Once the intake has been uncorked and the jets changed accordingly, I would expect the results to be quite a bit different.

I think ATV Sport needs to re-think the way they did this test. On the other hand, it certainly shows how little is actually gained with just a pipe on a thumper.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is something else to take in to consideration, a pipe doesn't just increase HP it also affects the Torque. For example the Big Gun exhaust might not give you a very good HP gain but it adds alot of lowend torque. I got this information from some webpage, I don't remember address now, I only remember that it had a pipe shootout article of about 4 pipes--most of the companies they had contacted refused to participate.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Range Rover

So your saying your a** is measuring the peak horsepower better than a $10k Dynojet Dynamometer?? I'd like to meet you sometime so you can take my Banshee out for blast.

LOL

Mac

Old 04-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, That is not what I am saying. Dynos are nice tools for tuning purposes. What I am saying is that I know for a fact that you do not lose topend horsepower and you gain a lot of low to mid horsepower. Maybe on a banshee all you are worried about is the max power at 9,000rpm but on a 4 stroke it is not as important. Also, I have ridden many banshees, they are fast in a straight line but any day you want to head to the Mx track you give me a call...

00 400ex big gun exhaust, k&n filter, no airbox lid, lectron 36mm carb,primal speed thumb throttle, burgard +2 a-arms, fastline brake lines, front works tripple rates, front holeshot mx tires, PEP steering dampner, Renthal Bars, Durablue +4 eliminator axle, durablue hubs, posi-locknut, beadlocks w/ 18" tamers,DeRisi Rear shock, AC nerfs, front bumper.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

You Said

"I know for a fact that you do not lose topend horsepower and you gain a lot of low to mid horsepower."

Look here

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Mac

Old 04-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

You Said

"I know for a fact that you do not lose topend horsepower and you gain a lot of low to mid horsepower."

Look here

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Your looking at the Best and 2 worst of the bunch!

Mac

Old 04-19-2001, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

It's hard to beat the stock muffler. Aftermarket mufflers cost at least $200, roughly $100/HP. Not a good enough return for me. Modifying any four-stroke is expensive and that is why my 400 will remain bone stock.

The best feature of the stock muffler is that it's quiet! With the greens running around, slowly closing riding areas all over the country, we cannot afford to give their cause more ammunition by using offensive (to them) exhaust systems. However, it is not to say that everyone must run stock exhaust. That is personal choice, and no one else's business. When considering aftermarket exhaust, weigh the consequences, and make the decision that's best for your situation and for the good of all off-road enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2001, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

For some info on derestricting the stock 400ex exhaust, check out my recent post, "Internally Derestricting Stock Exhaust" (or something along those lines, I don't remeber the exact title)

Old 04-19-2001, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Well that 2hp does a lot more than you expect. You wouldn't believe how bad I can beat a bone stock 400EX with my extra 2hp.

Old 04-19-2001, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

Whats this got to do with anything??

Quick Reply: 400 ex Exhausts all that noise for under 2hp!!