ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   99 300 Fourtrax Skipping (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/378817-99-300-fourtrax-skipping.html)

meatatarian 06-17-2019 03:20 PM

99 300 Fourtrax Skipping

I have a 99 Honda Fourtrax that has set up for 5 years. The carb was in bad shape after setting. I soaked cleaned and rebuilt the kit using a kit from quad boss and an O.E.M. Honda float and needle. The machine will start and run but has an intermittent skip at idle, it skips pretty bad between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle and runs fine at high idle. I am adjusting the vales today but do not have a lot of confidence this will solve the issue. Does any one have anymore possibilities on causes for this issue? I am starting to get a little frustrated with this issue.

papa hogg scoot 06-17-2019 06:49 PM

Remove air cleaner box lid an run an see if it runs better [drive] if does may have dirtdopper nest in air snorkle by removing lid this give engine more air and also make sure air filter is in good shape and new spark plug.

papa hogg scoot 06-22-2019 08:11 PM

Any updates on this ATV?

meatatarian 06-23-2019 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot (Post 3420746)
Any updates on this ATV?

No I checked all of these things and it still has the same issue. I’m gonna adjust the valves to see if that helps. To my knowledge they have never been adjusted. If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them.

papa hogg scoot 06-23-2019 07:27 PM

Ok I re-read your post did you change the jet needle? if so what groove did you put E-clip in? 1/4 to 3/4 throttle runs off this part..Idle to 1/4 throttle runs off slow jet,3/4 to full runs off main jet. also make sure the needle jet[in lower carb] isnt missing or upside down.

papa hogg scoot 06-23-2019 07:28 PM

Also did you make the jets all was same size in kit as factory before install kit?

meatatarian 06-23-2019 08:07 PM

I eyeballed them (I know that’s not good enough). I am thinking about cleaning the factory jets and putting them back in. It is definately running rich according to the spark plug. The valves are fine.

papa hogg scoot 06-24-2019 08:52 PM

The jets have size number stamped on them

meatatarian 06-24-2019 08:56 PM

The old jets are so corroded I can’t read anything on them. The inside of the carb was green when I pulled it apart. I put the factory jets back in today after cleaning them the best I could. I will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for your continued help.

meatatarian 07-16-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by meatatarian (Post 3420752)
No I checked all of these things and it still has the same issue. I’m gonna adjust the valves to see if that helps. To my knowledge they have never been adjusted. If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them.

Finally got back to this after my wife forced me on vacation...LOL. I put the factory jets back in and it seemed to help. I still have no change when I adjust the air fuel mixture screw. Overall its running better I think I have an issue now with the screen on the tank petcock being stopped up with trash. I am going to clean it later this week and adjust the throttle cable and see what I have.