Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

99 300 Fourtrax Skipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 300 Fourtrax Skipping

I have a 99 Honda Fourtrax that has set up for 5 years. The carb was in bad shape after setting. I soaked cleaned and rebuilt the kit using a kit from quad boss and an O.E.M. Honda float and needle. The machine will start and run but has an intermittent skip at idle, it skips pretty bad between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle and runs fine at high idle. I am adjusting the vales today but do not have a lot of confidence this will solve the issue. Does any one have anymore possibilities on causes for this issue? I am starting to get a little frustrated with this issue.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove air cleaner box lid an run an see if it runs better [drive] if does may have dirtdopper nest in air snorkle by removing lid this give engine more air and also make sure air filter is in good shape and new spark plug.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Any updates on this ATV?

Old 06-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Any updates on this ATV?
No I checked all of these things and it still has the same issue. I’m gonna adjust the valves to see if that helps. To my knowledge they have never been adjusted. If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I re-read your post did you change the jet needle? if so what groove did you put E-clip in? 1/4 to 3/4 throttle runs off this part..Idle to 1/4 throttle runs off slow jet,3/4 to full runs off main jet. also make sure the needle jet[in lower carb] isnt missing or upside down.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Also did you make the jets all was same size in kit as factory before install kit?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I eyeballed them (I know that’s not good enough). I am thinking about cleaning the factory jets and putting them back in. It is definately running rich according to the spark plug. The valves are fine.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

The jets have size number stamped on them

Old 06-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

The old jets are so corroded I can’t read anything on them. The inside of the carb was green when I pulled it apart. I put the factory jets back in today after cleaning them the best I could. I will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for your continued help.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by meatatarian
No I checked all of these things and it still has the same issue. I’m gonna adjust the valves to see if that helps. To my knowledge they have never been adjusted. If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them.
Finally got back to this after my wife forced me on vacation...LOL. I put the factory jets back in and it seemed to help. I still have no change when I adjust the air fuel mixture screw. Overall its running better I think I have an issue now with the screen on the tank petcock being stopped up with trash. I am going to clean it later this week and adjust the throttle cable and see what I have.

Quick Reply: 99 300 Fourtrax Skipping