Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Age old Questions you prolly seen a hundred times...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well FINALLY got the OK from the wife for my 1st 4wheeler (w00t!).. I am looking at the 400ex. It all looks great, but I am really bumming about no reverse. I have seen some say no biggy, but I used to ride a three wheeler alot and used reverse all time in the river bottoms (I mainly trail ride, dont really need to do 90 through the woods, and could care less which is faster heh, I ride for fun). Are you really not missing having reverse?...

Also, whats the going rate for a new 400ex. I know it varies per location, just wanna get a ball park of what you guys are seeing these go for...

Old 05-04-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you want a sport machine? From the sounds of it maybe a sport atv like the warrior, or a sport/utility like a warrior is more your type. If you are sure you want a high performance quad, the 400ex is a great choice, and after a few rides on a quad without reverse, you get used to it and seem to get into fewer and fewer situations where you need to back up. Also, with the 400ex, you are open to things like jumps and hillclimbing. I paid $5100 at Abernathy's Cycle, but local shops seem to charge anywhere between $5300 to $5700 depending on your location.

Old 05-04-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

hey if u trail ride and this is your first fourwheeler i would suggest the 300EX for you. and the 300EX has reverse too! the 400EX is a nice machine and not having reverse on it isn't a big deal (to me at least) and its a lot faster in the straight aways but in the trails the 300EX can easily keep up with the 400.

Old 05-04-2001, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, thanks for the quick replies..
I mainly put the (I mainly trail ride, dont really need to do 90 through the woods, and could care less which is faster heh, I ride for fun) line in there to try and avoid the whole hondas suck, yamahas rock posts..

I do hill climb at times, and dont get me wrong, who dont like opening it up at times hehe. I am mainly wanting an all around quad that I can grow into as I get more experienced on it. (dont plan on pulling 20 footers the first week hehe)
I was ready to buy one a couple years ago, but then had a addition to the family. I was wanting the warrior back then. But I am really liking the 400ex's now. Just was concerned about getting into the thick and no reverse. Guess its just a ridding adjusment. Plus, Hondas have always been rock solid..

Old 05-04-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Have you thought abuot the Raptor...a big EX...and reverse!
I had the chance to ride one today (quickly), and it's a wonderful machine compared to my shee. Maybe it was because it's right out off the showroom floor, but the I've been really surprised by the plushiness of the suspension. It has quite some power (but delivered the smooth way)...it's a little tippy, but in woods riding, the machine is "thin" enough to go between trees without trouble.
I've been impressed by the Raptor...mostly the suspension.

Old 05-05-2001, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

I would say 400ex all the way! My brother has a Warrior, and I thought it was a great bike. After getting the 400ex the Warrior feels like a couch on rollor skates, the 400 sucks up bumps like they don't exist. As for reverse, just think before you stop, don't pull straight up to an object, always leave an escape route. And think ahead, A trick I have seen used alot is to find a small hill, drive up it a little, hit the clutch and coast backwards turning so then you are facing the other way.

Old 05-07-2001, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea the Raptor may be nice, but I believe it may be a little too much for what I want.. Plus, from everything I seen, Seems the 400ex has the best handing out there.And, as stated earlier, Honda's have always been bullet proof and built to last which is a big factor (for me anyways). I have ridden several Honda three and four wheelers and they have always came back home (even after a bunch of n00b boneheaded mistakes hehe)...

Anyone mud and cross creek beds/low river/ etc with their 400?

Still, just very surprised of no reverse, but I guess I'll have to get over it hehe...

Thanks for the help ...

Old 05-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Subnet

I also was hesitant about buying the 400ex due to the lack of reverse. So far, I have been pretty good about keeping out of places where I would need reverse. The true test will come at Wayne National Forest when I have to challenge the hills with it. Buy the 400, you will not be disappointed.

Old 05-07-2001, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you mudded your 400 Mudman? or how about getting it wet?

also was curiuos what did your dealer want for it?

Old 05-07-2001, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Subnet

No, I have not played in the mud with the new 400ex. I plan on pretty much avoiding the mud with it. If I have the urge to play in the mud, I will take the Magnum 4x4 and get serious about it I doubt the ex would have much trouble in water, but in any serious mud, you will be in trouble with only 4 inches of ground clearance. The reverse thing is less of a deal considering the weight of the ex. I can lift the rear up and move it where ever I need to. No way I can do that with my Magnum. As for price, I paid $5,300 plus tax and I received $300 in free accessories courtesy of Honda on the day of purchase. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Age old Questions you prolly seen a hundred times...