Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I heard a Banshee could beat a Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some guy on ********* said an older (like '87) Banshee could beat an older Corvette in a quarter(1/4) mile race.

To me that sounds hard to believe, but could be true....have you guys ever heard of this??

Old 05-16-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

i think its possible. i have seen my friends VERY lightly modded 400EX (spark arrester cut out of stock pipe and race cut plastic) beat an 88 mustang 5.0 LX with aftermarket exaust. it may have more but all i know for sure was the exhaust. the only reason the quad won was because of the acceleration and the race was very close. they raced twice. about 700ft each time with a slight bend in the road. the first time the 400 took the 5.0 by about a quad lenght. the second time the 400 got a really crappy start and almost wheelied into the side of the car but at the end was only about 3 feet back from the front of the car. so yes, i can see a banshee beating a corvette if the length of the track is short enough, or if there are jumps in it lol.

Old 05-16-2001, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I guess it is possible. Quads and bikes would more than likely get the jump, and would probably win a short drag. Of course, after the drag got longer, the quad, bike, whatever it is, wouldn't stand a chance.

Old 05-16-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

of course its possible,,but now a new vette. It would have to be one of the older style vettes that weren't as fast.

An 1/8 mile drag, the banshee would have more of an advantage, but then it tops out and can't accelerate any more.

Its the same thing as something like a rocket (bike) being able to beat any car on the street. I would like to see a street legal car beat a quick bike. Its impossible. Ive seen stock bikes run in the 9s 1/4 mile.

Old 05-16-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I think a Banshee runs around a 15 second 1/4 mile at probably around 75 MPH. I don't know which "older" corvette is being referred to but for comparison even a 5.0 Mustang can run around a 15 second 1/4 mile but at around 100 MPH. I'm sure even the crappy 80's corvettes can beat that.

Old 05-16-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

A Banshee could possibly beat a Corvette in the 1/8th mile ONLY - not the 1/4 mile (unless the Banshee is EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY EXOTIC)! My first run on my R on the 1/8 put me within 4 tenths of second (0.4) behind a Mustang 5.0 and that's with me letting off the throttle to let the front wheels come back down. By the time a quad gets through the 1/8 mile it's topped out and the car is already breathing down its neck. From there the ATV simply holds it's speed while the car continues to accelerate. Now a streetbike (like my R1) is a WHOLE OTHER STORY!!!

Old 05-17-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

To Riceburnin,
If you just say "any street legal" car will get killed by a crotch rocket you are wrong. If you read Hot Rod magazine, they have a shoot out every year for the fastest street legal car. Those cars are running in the 7's in a 1/4 mile. If you are talking about the average really fast daily driver, you will be in a car that runs in the 12's. Even at that, you would have to have a very heavy modded shee to even come close to low 12's.
For the Corvette, if you pick a late 60's vette with a 427, or a Yenko 1970 vette, the banshee will get spanked. The '70 Yenko ran in the low 11's in the 1/4 mile. It all depends on what year vette you are talking about.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Guys, you have to remember the original issue was the 1/4 mile. I could beat a Banshee in the 1/4 mile with my wifes minivan. However, the tables would be turned in the 1/8 mile. Remember, a quad (at least most quads) are topped out before the 1/8 mile is over and any average car is still accelerating up to and beyond the 1/4 mile - especially a Corvette! Alright, alright...this is really a dumb topic, so I'll quit blabbing...

Old 05-17-2001, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I did say that rocket could beat about any street legal car. So didn't have anything to do with a banshee. I know there are a few cars running sub 10s street legal. But you won't find to many of those at your local drag.

When i was referring to older vettes, I meant the late 70s, early 80s vettes. I had a 1980 vette that was dog. Its best run was a 15.3. I feel a banshee with mods could beat this.

But,,,why are we discussing this anyways? This is a ridiculous thread when you think about it. Who really cares whether a banshee will beat a vette?
I have been riding for awhile and never seen a vette on the trail wanting to dragrace me on my 400.

Old 05-17-2001, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Who cares I just wanted something to talk about.

Banshees could kill any Mustang, because its a Ford...LOL j/k

Quick Reply: I heard a Banshee could beat a Corvette...