Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

86 TRX 250R FMF Pipe help PLEASE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 08:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my TRX a couple years ago it alreayd had a FMF fatty pipe and power core silencer that were brand new. So I thought nothing off getting a new one. Well last month I noticed a power decrease plus the pipe was smoking. To come find out. The pipe didn't seem to fit right. ALl it was held on was the pipe springs? I looked to see what was up and there was a hole in the underneath section by the foot peg? It was bounce on a bolt and put a whole right throught the pipe. So I thought maybe it was the wrong pipe. I heard FMF made a pipe for the 1986 only. So I just got one. It came in and is the same exact pipe? There is a mount on the pipe below the foot peg that looks like it would mount onto the motor mount? But it doesn't seem to be close enought to fit? Any help please. I need a new pipe and don't know what to do..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks

Old 06-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 89 250R with the FMF pipe. I am not sure of which one, since it came on the quad and says "gold series" under the FMF. But mine has a little tab that hangs down towards the motor mount. But it was too short to reach.

I found a piece of metal laying around that I drilled two holes through. I actually made both ends more like an oval than a straight hole. With the holes in that position, it was easier to install the piece. Then I bolted it onto the pipe and the lower rear motor mount bolt.

I order a Paul Turner mid range pipe the other month and I had to make a similar one for that pipe as well.

Old 06-15-2001, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

You are to use the stock rubber and metal exhaust hangers over. Only put them in differnt places. P.S. There pipes do not fit very good, poor quality control.

Old 06-15-2001, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

When I got my R, the only stock type hanger I had was the middle one. Right above the rear brake master cylinder.

I knew I was missing the one on the rear, but I was not sure if one came stock for pipe itself or if it would be in the same place as the stock pipe

Old 06-15-2001, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

A 1986 TRX 250R comes with three pipe hangers, made out of steel, with rubber vibration dampeners in the center, where the pipe bolt goes through. The front hanger goes on the right front motor mount, and the tab on the bottom of most aftermarket pipes, will fasten to it just fine.
The double hanger is the last one holding the silencer to the frame, and another single hanger usually holds the connector pipe, coming from the silencer, to your expansion chamber.
The front hanger will give you the ability to move the pipe up or down slightly, in order to clear frame members, and avoid ugly scratches and rub marks on the pipe.
If I'm rehashing things you already know, accept my apologies.