Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-1999, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of questions and a few opinions on my pending quad purchase. I have narrowed it down to the Wolverine, Warrior, and the Honda 400EX. I know they aren't all really in the same class. First let me explain my needs. I plan to ride on trails, mud, a little snow, some rocks, an occasional stream and in the woods in southeastern PA, maybe an occasional trip up to the Poconos. I owned an ATC years ago and I am getting back into it. I was first drawn to the Wolverine, which is without a doubt a great quad. I drove my friends new one and was impressed however, within 10 minutes I felt pretty comfortable and safe on it, it seems like I might get a little bored with that. Another thing I noticed, trying to turn at low speed in tight quarters is difficult, the quad doesn't seem to want to turn, I guess that is a four wheel drive thing. I don't want anything heavier than 500 pounds, a want to be able to have fun and do some jumps and feel the rush of extreme acceleration once in a while. So, it sounds like I am already leaning to the sport quads but, I am really concerned about the low ground clearance, should I be? What about if I want to cruise around around in a foot of snow, am I gonna be kicking myself for buying a low ground clearance 2 wheel drive quad? Also, chain drive, is that much of a hastle? I was thinking, I could throw on some bigger meaner tires and gain more traction and a little more grounf clearance and still be faster than a Wolverine, anybody out there punishing their sports bike in deep mud and snow? How about an occasional mountain climbing trip, will the sports be a pain in the butt? Ok, as if I havn't alreadt asked enough questions, I have been discussing whether to get the wolverine or a sport quad, say the sport bike is the way to go. What do you think is a better bet, the warrior or the 400ex. The 400ex is certainly faster, a little more money, and doesn't have reverse. The warrior is a bit cheaper easier to find. Both Honda and Yamaha have good reputations. Is the 400ex the way to go? A lot of people like them, am I gonna be picking up my quad a lot of rough trails or can the 400ex handle some rough stuff. I appreciate any answers to my many questions, thanks!

Old 10-08-1999, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

You are all over the map!!!!

Any machine should go through a foot of snow. 2 or 4 wheel drive. It is when it is 2 feet of snow that most of the machines can't move it. The center of the machine gets hung up and 2 or 4 wheels will spin. The snow and ice are awesome terrain. I had a Polaris Explorer 400 and a Scrambler 400 last winter. They were a blast. I had them studded so they really hooked up. I still liked riding the LT250R because it was more of a challenge and it ripped way more snow.

If you want to jump, the Warrior is capable, but the 400EX is the best quad. (other than a Honda TRX250R, but you didn't mention those) It doesn't have reverse, but it is light enough to move it yourself.

I don't know if I can convince you to go totally sport or some other type of sporty machine.

It is really your decision. Personally I prefer to ride the 400EX over the other 3 machines I own (or have owned). Unless it is a mud pit, or a rock pit, I am pretty much game.

Whatever the choice, enjoy!

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 10-09-1999, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

The 400ex can handle all those conditions with the exeption of the rocks of course. I own one and it goes pretty good in snow and mud. In my opinion the 400ex is the way to go. But it really isn't a beginer quad. I know you said you had a atc a while back so depending on your experience maybe the warrior would be the better choice. It to is a good all around quad. But if you can ride good get the 400ex. Just my opinion. See ya.

Old 10-09-1999, 01:33 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Buy the 400EX, it has reverse..just pin it and turn the barrs It works. It will be best in the trails..Very fun and great handeling bike, and it will be ok in the rock's.. it will lug nicley to let you pick your way threw them. snow is no prob as I go everywhere my friend does on his 99'kodiak 4x4 on my old 86'200SX .. they dont get stuck until you high center!

Old 10-10-1999, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

A-D-D-ZJnut.
You can't lose with the 400ex.I just blew one up,And I'd buy another one in a minute.I'm pretty sure that was just a fluke.

About the ground clearence,It did bottom out a bit stock.But I seem to have solved that problem with 22 inch rear/23 inch front tires.Then drop a tooth on the front sproket.That will bring you back to stock gearing.As for low speed turning,steer with the rear.Lube the chain and ditch the factory swingarm skid plate.

Next -Don't pick it up,You ride over it.

Old 10-10-1999, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a new warrior last year and traded it in about a month ago for a new 400ex. I do a lot of trail riding and jumping. The warrior was pretty good on the trails, and reverse came in handy, but i could feel the extra weight, and it was front heavy. Though it was very reliable.

Personally i was let down when i rode in the snow last winter on the warrior. The ground clearance wasn't the problem as much as just spinning our everywhere and not getting much traction to get moving, even with good Fast Trekker rear tires.

I agree that the 4x4 might get a little boring unless u love going through the mud, cause jumping a 500 lb. 4x4 sounds exhausting!

To my opinion. If your not doing much jumping and mostly trail riding go with the warrior, its cheaper and has reverse. But if u plan on really getting into it and doing some jumping and riding wheelies, then no question about it.. The 400ex RULES!

mark