Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

10-minute,no cost hp improvment

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so you take it out, then what do you do when you need to use the choke?

Old 07-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I did it to mine today but I haven't test rode it yet. It comes apart pretty easy. First pull the carb loose from the motor and airbox so you can work on it. There is one screw on the side of the carb that holds the choke lever on. pull that one and take off the peices. Next, you'll notice a black plastic cap connected to the linkage. That pops off with your fingers.
Next look down the air filter side of the carb. You'll see two small screws. Take those out and hang on to the peices. Look back into the black cap on the side of the carb and you will see a spiral spring around the butterfly rod. Pull only the rod and spring out of the side of the carb.
Make sure you hang on to all your pieces. Replace the black cap you took off earlier to prevent unfiltered air from getting in and I put the screw back in the side of the carb also. Like I said, I have not test rode it yet. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ridered04-

For us this would only be a summer mod. We would definately need our chokes for the winter. As for the summer, if you just gas the throttle a little when you start it, and keep it running for a bit until the motor warms up, you should be good to go.

Old 07-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

Roadracer96..... Well, how's it work?
The directions you gave seem easy enough to follow. But I wanna know if it all is right. Prior to disassembly of all the little carb hardware.
I heard of this being done a few months ago at a local track down here... But never knew exactly what was being done.

(YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME !!!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

let use know what you think when you test it out, I am always looking for more speed.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

One word of caution. Butterflys in carburators usally have the screws staked in, meaning the backside is hit with a punch, either on the screw itself to deform it, or on the rod, to keep the screws from ever bieng sucked down a running engine. They can break easily, some can be extracted while others break.

Old 07-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

BIG GUN....
(FLY NAVY!!!).......NAS JAX, FLA
Thanks for the great info, I'll be sure to check the condition of the screws. before and after the carb modification.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2001, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

The 400EX carb is a pumper carb. If you take the air intake off, and press the throtle you will see a squirt of gas. I use this all the time instead of the choke. I just pump the throtle a couple of times before starting to rich up the mixture, then once it kicks over it is fine. Anyway, those of you who remove your choke might want to try this method for cold starts????

Old 07-09-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Turning up the idle speed helps alot in cold situations...

Old 07-09-2001, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea yall,better watch taking the screws off on the shaft that goes across the carb. mine were real tite and when i took them off some metal shaving were left on the bottom, make dam shure you get them out, and one other thing, pay close attention to how the choke lever and stuff is put together, cause if ya dont, ita be hard to put back on. ENOUGH SAID[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 10-minute,no cost hp improvment