Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

MX jumping tips.... need help with landing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not ATV Sport. It's 4 Wheel ATV Action. Umm yea, next I go to the farm (tommorow) I'll bring it to my house and photocopy the 4 page article. You can e-mail me your address and I'll just send it to you. (I don't need the $0.66 for shipping and $0.15 for paper hehe).

Umm so you should get it by Wed. It's really a good article. I learned a lot myself, not that I'm an expert.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

First things first i agree with whoever said make your own jumps then get bigger i started out with little single jumps then small doubles now up to 40 and 50 footers on lakota sport which is as good as a jumping quad as some but still fine. Also when making your jumps the doubles make the landing more round so you do come up short you wont flip over the bars. In the whoops i would suggest at the begining of the whoops to gun it and try to skim over the whoops lean back so you dont dive into them. All the magazine said was to go a certain speed then gas it at the base so your back wheels are lower than front. If you want to land on front wheels hit brakes but i would practice landing on back first because if you hit brakes to hard away you go. Also to reduce spin on the holeshot start in 2nd gear better starts means better races.

Old 07-22-2001, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

Just my 2 cents on the issue;

When approaching the jump you must commit to doing it, if you let up at the last minute it is bad, believe me.

I believe that it is better to over jump a double than to under jump it. You should also roll over the jump a couple of times just to get a feel for the take off.

I like landing rear wheels first, just barely though. Remember too, don't be on the gas when landing. As you swing arm comresses the chain stretches. Unless you like pushing your machine home this is important.

Also when landing remember to keep your legs and arms loose. They will help cushion your landing.

And finally, yes mx is rough.Practice, practive, practice. Endurance wins races not just speed.

Have fun and keep safe. Hope this helps

Old 07-22-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Alibaba-

I found that article in a grocery store yesterday-... so no need to send it.

But for the rest of you- All the pointers have been covered in this forum. The article was only 2 pages- and mostly common sence. I didn't read anything that would change the way I look at a jump- other than to make sure you clear it- and DO NOT fall short.

I finally took my first double a few days ago- and it feels good to finally accomplish a double. I scared the crap out of me when I was landing- but then it became second nature after a few times. I have yet to hit the 40' double. My buddy (same skill as me) tried it after I convinced him that his 440 was fast enough to get the speed out of the corner.... but he shifted through his gears way too fast and lugged into 4th- didn't get enough speed and hit the face side of the 2nd double really hard. His shocks bottomed out immediately, he smacked his chest on the handlebars and his lips on the front fender. Needless to say- his confidence was crushed- and he left the track pretty sore.- but hey- at least he tried. And the best part was I got all of it on video!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2001, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

well i had already sent it by mail so u can just throw it away.

Old 07-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

oh and sometimes i like to go into the gear ahead then shift down to get the revs i want...
does anyone else do that?

Old 07-22-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I know on a 2 stroke you want the revs (I ride my CR on the track sometimes) but on a four stroke like my X I just hit the jump and keep steady on the throtle the whole way up. The only time I hammer it is at the base of the jump to pick up speed. Never nail the gas at the top of a jump on a 4 stroke, you'll nose dive (my experience anyway). On a 2 stroke it's just the opposite. Nail it at the top to get the front end up. Oh well, be safe and have fun!

Old 07-22-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I also keep the throttle steady when I jump, I let off after my rear wheels leave the ground, and then, depending on the landing angle and my air speed, I usually throttle again just before landing to make it smooth.

The track is a whole new ballgame, isn't it? I love it, but was shocked at how tired I was my first time out, too. I got some great advice, though, and that was don't ride *****-out the whole time (which I was doing at first) because you will tire too quickly - rather go at a good, steady pace, and try and increase your endurance. That is what I have been doing lately, and I am getting to where I can go 4 laps around a 1 1/2 mile MX track without having to pause.....I want to work up to 6 or 7, but this will take a little time! My poor girl arms get REALLY tired!!!!

Yeah, you don't want to land short on your doubles! I did that two weeks ago, and paid DEARLY!!!! I didn't have anybody to follow and mimic, and I didn't have enough momentum, and....well.....the good news is that it doesn't really hurt when you crash.....not until the next day when you are getting X-rays!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Practice, practice, practice - it will all come to you in time! You guys are lucky though. I have a stock 400EX, and I got all excited the other day because i finally softened my factory settings in the front shocks, and realized how much that helps! You guys are talking about all these nice fancy aftermarket shocks......a-arms........I suppose you have straight steering columns and everything......that's just not fair!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Oh well...maybe for my birthday!!!

Old 07-22-2001, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

On the bigger doubles I know this sounds stupid but I hit it with as much speed as I can.and I ussualy clear them.

On the smaller one's IF I have rode the track before I know what gear to hit them in and how muhc throttle to be givin it.

On berms.I like to ride up them and then throw the bike sideways and shoot down it.

On whoops I haven't got them down yet.But What I have been doing is leanin back and keepin a steady throttle.I used ot have a twist throttle on my bike and it was really hard to keep it steady.But since I put my thumb back on it really helped.

On my endurance I really need to work on this alot.But I have just been ridin slow for a couple laps and then pickin up the pace every lap by a little bit.This helps alot also.

And when I feel I am not going to clear a double Ussually try and just pull up as hard as I can on the bars and get the front end up.THis lets my back shock take the hit.

86 trx250r setup for mx
97 300ex

Old 07-22-2001, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

1. Depends on your landing. If you're landing on the top of a tabletop, try to land on the rears. But if you can clear the double, or whatever kind of jump it is, land with all 4 down.

2. I have Works Performance Threaded Duals w/Rezzies on my shee.. I love them.. YES, they will outperform stockers in every aspect! Extended A Arms help.. alot, especaily in the corners.. you can just sit over on the side of your seat, and keep on the gas. Both are MUSTS

3. Roll it faster and faster.. If you case it.. Don't worry.. It won't hurt. Just grab another gear, keep it smooth, and you should clear it.

4. They take the twitchiness out of the steering. If twitchy steering is a bad thing for you, yes they are helpful. But I can deal with it!

5. Take whoops like small doubles. Keep your @$$ on the back of your seat, and every time your front tires hit the ground, punch the gas. Try to "wheelie" through the whoops, and you'll go alot faster!

6. Make sure you pull in your clutch when you tap the back brake. Nothing is more embarassing/time eating than stalling your bike in the air. Trust me, it sounds like CRAP when you land, and it turns itself over. Lock your back tires up, then release.. Use at your own free will

7. You keep your speed if you go outside/high. The only time I try to cut low, is if I'm trying to pass. ALL other times, I go right in the middle, ride the clutch, and slip it out.. Since you're on an EX< just roll your throttle instead of slipping the clutch.

You have to have fun when you're riding. If you watch the SX and MX bikes on ESPN, you will notice 2 different kinds of riders. I.E.= Ricky Carmichael, Jeremy McGrath. Carmichael is ALL OVER the track. He rides ***** to the walls, giving it 110%. Jeremy McGrath rides smooth.. McGrath might not ride as FAST as Carmichael, but his finesse, and bike control will keep him winning races. Try to be SMOOTH instead of being FAST. Fast guys that are all over the track, will tire quickly, but smooth riders will keep their strength up, and finish strongly.

Let off the throttle in the air, but 1 or 2 seconds before you land, pin it. This will help you keep up speed! Remember, ***** to the Walls is what it takes, but try to smooth

Quick Reply: MX jumping tips.... need help with landing.