Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Chain lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if I have to relubricate the chain after every ride through the water. I use Maxima Chain Wax right now and it seems to work pretty well. Also do I need to relubricate the all of the pivots like on the shocks and everything? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Short answer no, long answer yes.

You don't need to lube up the pivot points on the shocks, a arms and such because they are polyurethane. Just be sure to give them a blast when spraying the bike off if your water has alot of silt in it. After all you don't spray off the ones on your car or truck do you? Plus the bushings are probably sleved on a atv meaning there is a metal sleve inside of it due to the harsh conditions it is subject to.

As for the chain, the wax or lube won't come off in the water unless it is really hot and you hit the water, but still it won't come all off right away. If your chain looks like it has wax or lube is on it still then it should be good to go.

Old 07-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

I personally lubricate my chain after ever ride no matter what I go through!!!

Old 07-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

I use Maxxima chain wax as well and I normally clean my chain and rewax it about about every 4th or 5th ride. I also hit all my movable parts with some WD40 after every wash. It can't hurt. I figure a little shot of that is better than having to replace a shock or cable.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

How do you clean your chains because I have a o-ring chain and it has that black gummy stuff all over it and I want to get it off. Any help would be appreciated.

John Fahey
1988 Honda 250R

Old 07-22-2001, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

it would be better to use spray silicon than wd 40 as it has a penetrating agent that degradeds rubber and maybe polyuretane.

Old 07-22-2001, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

to clean chain:

take it off the bike, get a bucket or pan or some sort of container, put the chain in the container, and fill it with KEROSENE just so it covers the chain. get a bristle brush and scrub the chain...safty glasses recommened!!!!... dump the kerosene out...usually on the neighbors grass in some tribal design...and repeat the process of scrubbing the chain untill the kerosene comes out almost all clean. usually i let mine sit overnight. then dry it off, and use some kind of chain wax or grease.

i "cook" mine over an outdoor stove in a container if royal purple waterproof grease. works great!

hope i helped

Old 07-22-2001, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

Diesel is kerosene based and works well, and cheaper. If any of you have acess to jet fuel you can use jp-4 or jp-8 which is a little more refined Diesel.

Old 07-24-2001, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

HUH i think i need to lube more then i ride every day about and go through the water every time and only lube once a week or so you really like you chains clean lol .???

Old 07-24-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

well, i'd rather spend a half hour cleaning and greaseing my chain once every 2 weeks, than have to spend a hundred $$ on a new chain cause the old one wore out due to neglect.

besides, my chain could go for about a month before it really needed to be cleaned, and i ride in a lot of deep water too, and it gets real dusty around here at about this time of year.

i'm just really picky about those kinda things too, i like to keep my bike in top shape!!

Quick Reply: Chain lubrication