Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

making my own header?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wonderin if i could make my own header for my 300? I found some exhaust tubing for headers in a car mag thats stainless steal....i thought i could get some1 to bend it for me. Would this work? what size would be the best? What parts of the power band would this give more power too..and another thing would i have to get a new exhaust flange?

Old 07-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno bout bending more like cutting and placing a tube over then welding. Sounds like a cool idea. What magazine?

Old 07-22-2001, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

YEah that might be better...i think it was summit? It was just 4' long peices for like 10 bucks maybe. oh i got a question for any1 that could answer....what would be the biggest i should make it?? If you get it big will you lose low end...i want more torque

Old 07-23-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Making your own header sounds like a relatively easy process, but I doubt it is. I am not speaking from experience, but I do know a bit about material properties. Bending is complicated when it comes to pipes. Especially at such a small diameter. Look at your header closely. There are no weld spots. It is smooth. Smoothness within the pipe prevents turbulence within the pipe. Turbulence creates disturbences which result in complicating the flow of the exhaust. The pipes need to be bent when at critical temperatures. What I mean by critical temps is that the heating and cooling of steels change material properties. When not done properly the steels become brittle and therefore weaker. You must also consider the vibration effects, of which I will not discuss.

In my opinion, spending about $150 is well worth it. You will then know the job is done right and you will have quality.

NT

Old 07-23-2001, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Man, it sounds like a hard process to me, you have to get it bent right, change jetting, get them attached some how etc.
I might try it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

I think I will try it. Have you ever saw the diameter of a YZF400 on a quad frame? Now thats how big I want mine. The 300ex headpipe is pretty straight after the 1 curve. Like N3COTO said it would need to be heated or it might smash in and have some rough places. I'm gonna try and find one of them mags. Can you buy already bent pieces?

Old 07-23-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

sorry guys but i m gonna have to laughf [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I m not too cheep to buy a $90 header ! and it seems like one of those things where its gunna be better to get one then make your own . but good luck with it any way .

Old 07-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your better off buying one. If you just use a tube bender like at Tuffy Muffler the tube ID will reduce. The header you by was specially made for your bike, it has been dyno'd to give the best performance. You may make your header to big in Diameter and you'll lose some torque or you may make it too small and loose high RPM's. It can be done, but your better off buying one.

Just my .02

Old 07-23-2001, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Actualy yes you can build your own header. My engine builder was telling me about it, he was a flattrack racer sponsered by weisco years ago. He said that all you have to do is make the bends smooth and if at all possible make it a stepped design. He said you can take larger pieces of pipe towards the end of the header to increase flow and you get a true megaphone design. You then take another piece and step it down to get a reverse cone megaphone. Look at FMF's power bomb for the EX it's similar to what he was telling me about, you give it an expansion chamber to move the gasses quickly then you reduce the chamber to achieve backpressure. But I'd only do this if noise isn't an issue for where you ride. If you dont have the time or skill don't try it, you're better off buying one from powroll for $100.

Old 07-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i've seen the one on the yzf and thats what i was wantin....yeah there are already bent pieces and one looked like it would fit my 300ex. They are actual headers for cars but they would be the right size....would the one on the yzf be too big for mine? CAn some1 please tell me how big i should have it???????