Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex/Scrambler/Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-1999, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a quad and would like any suggestions you might have. First, I am 5'7" and 230 lbs, I am looking for a sport type bike or possibly a sporty 4x4. The group I will be riding with have, '00 Wolverine, '00 Warrior, '00 Scrambler 500, and a '84 Honda 250 Trike. We will be riding in southeastern PA, gravel, dirt roads, mud, an occasional water hole, stone ridden trails, and once a year some snow. I have riden all of their bikes and here are my impressions. The Scrambler 500 is easily the fastest of the bunch, you can power slide and pop a wheelie with ease. The suspension on all of these quads seems pretty good. The Warrior is a really fun quad, but it bothers me how easily the Scrambler smokes it and it's poor ground clearance is also an issure. The Wolverine is a great all round quad but the full time 4x4 has got to go, I can't give up power slides and all the fun the 2 wd's have. I've seen the Wolverine go places the Warrior couldn't dream of and places the Srambler tried but failed (due to water and belt slippage). I think I have narrowed my decision down to the Warrior, Scrambler 500, Scrambler 400, and 400EX. Here is my thinking behind the candidates:

Warrior: A very fun quad, low ground clearance, could be faster, old design, seems reliable, suspension is good but not great.
Scrambler 500: Very fast, easy to ride but not being able to downshift bothers me, a little heavy, easy access flip of a switch to kick it into 4wd, nice suspension travel, top heavy, fun quad, good ground clearance, the complexity of the transmission bother me and it's adverse reaction to water also bugs me, the one handed braking doesn't offer enough flexibility, I can imagine hit the brakes on a failed steep hill climb, the rear wheels locking and the bike and I falleing down the hill backwards.
Scrambler 400: Same as above, but cheaper a little slower, a little lighter, mods produce extreme hp which could be interesting, virtually no engine braking, 2 stroke requires a bit more attention.
400EX: I have not driven this quad, but all the things Warrior owners cry out for the 400ex has so I think it would be great, lightweight, great suspension, great power, reliable, ground clearance is poor, price and supply is poor, NO REVERSE - this one really kills me, I'm not sure I can get by without it, I know I only use it 3 times in a day, but jumping off the quad and pushing seems so archaic (a although it is light) and I'll need the speed of the 400ex to catch up to everyone else. Is it worth jumping off and pushing it to have the ultimate sport bike, I'm sure I'd have a blast on it the other 99% of the time.

I know I am really splitting hairs here and I am comparing some different machines here but to me they all seem pretty equal. I quickly realized how little I will actually use 4wd but it is still cool to have just in case the trail gets rough or muddy. I know there isn't a perfect quad but let me put the question out there, if you were me, what quad would you choose and why? Thanks all!

Old 10-17-1999, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

I would consider the banshee if those trail are big and open...It would smoke the 400ex. But on more narrow and wood trail, the 400ex would be the way to go...

Old 10-17-1999, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I say 400ex all the way. I have one and I haven't gotten bored yet, thing can pull wheelies in 4th gear, I have it completely stock too, no need to modify such a potent beast. I haven't ridden the other rides you talked about, but I say 400 ex all the way. You won't be disappointed!

Old 10-18-1999, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

I totally agree with Mr._oo_400ex. Get the 400ex. I to own one and I have ridden the warrior and the 400scrambler and the ex is in my opinion the best. I have also raced the scrambler which has a racing pipe and a clutch kit in it and my 400ex still beat it in a quarter mile drag race by about 6 or 7 bike lengths. As for reverse just turn the bars and hit the throtle and it will spin right around. The guys I ride with consists of 3 banshees, a lt250r(modified), a warrior, and a lt500r quadzilla. And they all say though not the fastest of the bunch the ex is the funnest quad to ride because it is easy to wheelie in any gear, light and very predictable. Plus Hondas good reliability reputation. My bet is you won't miss reverse at all. Go for the ex you won't be sorry. Just my opinion.
MIke

Old 10-18-1999, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 99 warrior with a pipe, cam, valve springs, piston, oil cooler, airbox mods, and carb. I raced it against a stock warrior and beat it by 7 bikes in 150 yd race on cement. I then raced it against a 400ex(2000) and I got beat by 3-4 bikes. I didn't care much for the shocks and heavy feel of the warrior, but I was thinking of buying Works shocks. To make a long story short, I rode around the dealer's parking lot and went off the loading dock, etc...
$1000 later I took the 400ex home. I think it was the best decision I have ever made.

Old 10-18-1999, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

GET THE 400EX! It does everything the other atv's do BETTER! It's lighter than all the atv's u mentioned, handles better than all the atv's mentioned, Is faster than all the atv's mentioned except for one, which is the banshee and with a pipe, filter, and jet kit you'll beat a banshee all the way to 5th gear. Honda has a great service reputation too. I don't think u have much to think about, unless u want less for your money.

Old 10-18-1999, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Like the other guys have said, GET A 400EX! They are a blast! I could chug along all day in first through third gears wheelying my brains out. It is fun to goof around, to see how long a wheely can be ridden, to see if I can do this third-gear uphill start (I've done it). It is just a blast. I am getting the itch to ride as I am typing! Another strong point of the 400EX is maintnence. Maintnence issues are easy. Oil change takes 5 minutes. Chain adjustment takes 2 minutes and air filter is easy. Go for the 400EX!

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-1999, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Funny how you post this question in the Honda forum and everyone says to get a 400EX. What a strange coincidence. I say you should get the Scrambler 500. Whoever said that the 400ex can do anything the Scrambler can do and better is seriously delusional. They both have their strong points. There are many a water- mud hole that the Scrambler would rip right through while the 400ex sat and spun. The Scrambler in my opinion is also a better hill climber. It all depends on what you want in your quad. Like i said they both have their strong points. I was in the market for a new quad about 1 month ago and money was not an issue, i was getting exactly what i wanted. I chose the Scrambler 500 because it offers a great balance of Sport quad with the ability to master those mud holes with 4x4. Good luck CT

Old 10-22-1999, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

CT,
You are right they both have their strong points. I have a Scrambler 400 & my brother has a 400EX. His quad is fun to ride. A great jumper & handler. However the Scrambler is much better in mud & also a better hill climber. Plus if you ride in the snow the Scrambler wins again. There is an awesome feeling of nailing the throttle on loose terrain and feeling those front tires on a 400cc 2 stroke dig in
Don't be worried about speed, with only $300 worth of mods my Scrambler ourdrags my brothers 400EX by 2 to 3 quad lengths. (Yes his throttle cable is adjusted correctly). I've also been told a piped & jetted 500 can out drag a 400EX too. So don't believe Dirtwheels, Polaris' aren't that slow.
But if you don't mind not having reverse, & like to jump a lot the 400EX is great.
But if you like to keep going where others turn back on a trail & don't mind using a little muscle to move the heavier Scrambler around I'd get a Scrambler. Either quad is a winner. I just happen to prefer the "cooler" of the two
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-22-1999, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't say that the scrambler400 is better in snow. My friend has a 400 scrambler and he and a few others went riding in the mountians where the snow was drifted across the trails. I thought he would be the one pulling everyone else out but while the warrior and blasters went up and over the drifts the heavier scrambler kept falling through and getting stuck. As for hill climbing I guess if there is a lot of obsticals to go over the scrambler would do better but if there is no obsticals to go over the 400ex will top it faster and in most cases easier at least at the sand dunes and foot hills and mountians we ride at here in Idaho. Guess it depends on if you think you need 4 wheel drive or not.
MIke