Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is a limited slip 4x4 REALLY that much better than 2x4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops sorry, forgot my reading glasses again.. LOl or I just don't pay any attention sorry for the mistake!( no I don't wear glasses just a phrase my parents use because I don't notice things usually)

Old 08-08-2001, 06:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Try to back a 2wd up a loose gravel hill sometime.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend

We use our 98 300 4trax 4 by 4 to pull a rough cut 50 inch trail mower and in the tall slick grass a 2 wheel drive just wouldn't cut it. Chet

Old 08-08-2001, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

Andy really hit it on the head. I have a 2x4 Rancher and can get through most resonable areas but going over hills and seeing something you really didn't want to do and you may be sorry. In Gladwin looking for some excitement around the trail I went to cross a river down a 50' hill and "looking for a line" but couldn't find one to late was already committed (wishing I had 4x4 to BACK UP) but luckily feathering the brakes (sliding) till the bottom where a 3' almost straight drop off into river landing on front skid plate/rack of Honda. gunned the gas and came out of it. whew!!
wont be trying that one to soon !!

scott

01' Rancher
91' KX 80 (race ready)
was?? looking for a 250EX for wife (but been hearing chronic problems with stalling lately)

Old 08-08-2001, 04:51 PM
RIP Dear Friend

LogLeaper
look at the Recon. I have had mine 2 years and 3 months and have aprox. 325 hours on it. Never any stalling problems and is almost just as fun as 250EX. I like my Recon better because its just not all sport. The cargo racks do come in handy. Its even cheaper than 250EX. CHET

Old 08-08-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Scott,
I wanted to go to Gladwin real soon. What is the best part to go to?
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2001, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

Hey Jeff, I've rode Gladwin 3 times this year last saturday for that matter. All I can say is this stay away from the east side south loop. whoops whoops whoops and more whoops I'm not joking neither. I wanted to check out scrambler area so I thought I would try south loop, your better off driving down parking lot road to loop if 25+ acre sand area is your game, the trail southwest is ok just stay away from southeast loop trust me. The north loop system is really cool, nice bermed trails on northeast loop to orv route , lots of mud (normally) either way you go between south and north route crossing, they have built wood bridges to assist your effort,(section 28 on dnr map, also nice area to play around not a scramble, but something) there was barely any mud there but usually, WATCH OUT !!! some are very deep as you will contest, if any at all rain appears !!! PLEASE RAIN GODS give us mosture !!! the north loop is very nice with that creek crossing from earlier post. Tell me when you would like to go up maybe I/we could joing you if your interested.

p.s. a group of us went in early spring and the water table was quite high - had to floater thru a couple areas no way around, was different not feeling ground underneith you, ds650 and 400ex got stuck quit a few times, place is dry as a bone right now, obviously !!! back to rain gods !!!!

oh ya, I personally bought the 2x4 saving about $1,000 (wishing only a couple times that I had 4x4), but now my son has a nice KX80 mx dirt bike for $800 and runs great and fits right next to my quad in the F-150. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

scott

01' Rancher ES
91' KX 80 (race ready)

Old 08-08-2001, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Minehunter, I guess we are in conflict with " how far is to far?" when you are climbing a hill of greater than 45 degrees. I'm sure what you say is correct, but, I can tell you from experience that you can climb hills greater then 45 degrees. Maybe I am using a slite bit of momentum, I'm sure many factors take place. But let me explain the best example I can. In alto texas, we often ride on an atv/4x4 truck park called shilo ridge. In shilo there are many steep hills, and one that I can just make it to the top. This hill is solid dirt, almost clay, and is somewhere around 60 degrees. I know it is for sure over 45 degrees. And I do start from a dead stop at the base in first gear, increasing in throttle as I get higher up the hill.(If you don't increase in throttle, you will stall out, I do know that for a fact) Just to reassure that this hill is pretty steep, in some spots both my front tires ride slitely off the surface of the hill. And the hill is about 30 feet to the top. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying a 4x4 atv can climb some serious hills.

Old 08-09-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hollywood, do realize how steep 60 degrees is? Here is how to visualize a 60 degree angle. Get a ruler and a piece of paper. Draw a line 4 inches long across the paper horizonally. On either end of the line, draw a line vertically up the page for 6 inches. Now draw a line that intersects the ends of the lines forming an angle. That is 60 degrees or a 133% grade if it were a road. Pretty steep if you ask me. If you make both lines equal length that's a 45 or a 100% grade if it were a road. Anyone else that reads this post can do the same thing and give me your honest opinion, will your quad climb that steep an angle from a standing start at the bottom. I know of none that will, especially for 30 feet or more.

Old 08-09-2001, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

A military Hummvee is a pretty serious off road vehicle, some would say the ultimate ATV. Anyway go here to see what the maximum angle a HummVee can climb. Check out the other 2 Vehicles while you are there. They're all limited to 45 degrees and all three have 4 wheel differential lock. Hmmmm.

http://www.swissatv.com/hummer_tech.htm

Quick Reply: Is a limited slip 4x4 REALLY that much better than 2x4?