Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why is there always a Polaris...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why when someone asks for a comparison between bikes, does some Polaris owner have to but in and suggest that some Polaris is the greatest thing in the world? IF WE WANT TO TALK ABOUT POLARIS, WE WILL GO TO THE POLARIS FORUM!!! I don't even know what a Polaris looks like. Out here in the West, there aren't any!! Face it, it's just brand loyalty from eastern snowmobile riders that keeps Polaris quads in business.

Old 08-30-2001, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good point. I noticed that you have a Rancher "Extreme" terrain. what exactly makes it "extreme"?

Old 08-30-2001, 02:48 PM
RIP Dear Friend

YZGUY
I don't have a desire to own a Polaris but here in Vanderburgh/Warrick counties in southern Indiana there is two dealers so someone is buying these machines here. I would rather shift myself. Chet

Old 08-30-2001, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

briand-The desert is full of old abandoned mines. I use the 4X4 to run the roads to the old mines. Some of these havn't been maintained in over 100 yrs. What makes it "extreme" is the size of the rocks, and the condition of the roads. THIS IS ROCKHOUNDING AT ITS BEST!! IT'S 100% TECHNICAL. The little Rancher is light and agile, and climbs anything. There is always someone (usually some smart a$$) asking what "extreme" means. I thing I'm going to change it to TRIALS RIDING (NO NOT TRAILS) or something. Maybe I can start a new sport of quad trials.

Old 08-30-2001, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

yzguy,

I would like to address your comments: I think the issue is not only Polaris owners, but all brand owners.........I own a Polaris and a Honda, and frequent both forums. The same thing you're talking about happens in all forums. For example, someone will have a question about a problem they're having with a polaris model, and some Honda guy will come in and say "should've bought a Honda" or some crap like that. So, it isn't isolated to Polaris owners doing this to the Honda forum. Secondly, it IS NOT just brand loyalty from eastern snowmobil riders that keeps Polaris quads in business. Last I read, Polaris was #2 in sales, second to Honda (and I believe they have a good chance at taking 1st---my opinion only). That means they have passed up Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. It has taken 10 years for the Japanese manufacturers to begin implementing the features that have made Polaris so popular....such as: automatic, disc brakes, switchable 2-4 wheel drive, full floorboards, independent rear suspension, and true 4-wheel drive. Sure, Suzuki had diff lock and IRS on the King Quad, but other than that quad, there were no others. I understand that there are several people out there who would rather shift, don't want IRS, or the other Polaris "firsts", however, the vast majority of people entering the market after a recreational trail ride will opt for the automatic.

Again, I'm not knocking your original complaint, but it does happen in all forums. And you were incorrect in your statement about what keeps Polaris Quads in business.

Waylan

2001 Xplorer 400 4x4
1997 300EX

Old 08-30-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the post in the Honda forum by real4X4, in the thread "Rubicon...Performance mods, are there any?" This is the kind of crap I'm talking about!!! Polaris owners, hang your heads in shame.....

Old 08-30-2001, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a Polaris owner on the Honda forum because I'm looking to trade up, probably to a Rubi. I've got 8 years of service out of the Polaris, but my needs have changed. So do personal preferences, opinions and ATV models, and even whole ATV corporations. Blanket statements DO NOT apply to ATV's any more than to any other form of prejudice. Let's stop flaming each other and use this forum as intended - to share useful knowledge.
No one owes us the right to use this forum. It's like any other service - if we abuse it, it could go away!

Old 08-30-2001, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Check again YZGUY, the dunes at Pismo are full of Trailblazer's and Scramblers. Polaris is making inroads into the sport market big time. Why? because they're the only automatics out there and their marketing budget is huge. I bought one just because I could'nt talk my wife into using a clutch. She just wants to point and shoot. I guess thats ok with me.

Now I don't know much about Utility quads but if I were to buy one I would not look at Polaris, cuz if they make them like the trailblazer or the scrambler I'd be replacing parts contantly. The quality is no where near the Honda.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-30-2001, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again YZ, I couldn't believe what that guy said in my thread either, that was rude.
I want to address another thing about the Rubicon, after riding mine over a lot of different types of situations including some really steep muddy hills, I have a hard time imaging any transmission that compares to the Rubicon's. It's always where it needs to be, especially when going down hill. Very seldom do I have to use my brakes, in fact I've found that on occasion I'll have to accelerate to get to the bottom at a reasonable speed. My wife likes the feel of the bike too, she's not very experienced with small, fast equipment but it's not let her get into any uncomfortable situations yet, something I can't say about our old Wolverine. Being a Honda, the engine size and liking the transmission setup were the reasons I went to the Rubicon. It's a very well rounded piece of equipment that fits the bill around our farm, our recreational needs and both of us(not small people) can tool around together.

Old 08-30-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Just for the record, I view all of the forums to pick up any useful information that I may find. I came to the Honda forum tonight to read up on the Recon, as my dad is looking at buying one and I get out of work too late to go to the dealers.

Anyway, I agree with walexa...Such events happens in all of the forums, and Polaris owners are not the only people that do it.

I don't come here to bash anybody's quad, or push any certain brand more than any other. I read what the person writes, and then I go from there. I will recommend Polaris to a number of people, BUT it all depends on their personal needs. I have had my Polaris for a while, and it has been very good to me. I have had 1 part break on it, but it was fixed again for $5. I know a lot of people with the same experiences that I have had as well. I also know a lot of people that have had problems with their Polaris's. However, this is the case with any and all quads. Some people have bad luck with certain brands...it's just the way it goes.

Now as for all of the Polaris riders being "brand loyal eastern snowmobilers" that's also not true. Sure, I'm from the East, and I ride a snowmobile, but it sure isn't a Polaris, nor have I EVER owned a Polaris sled. I probably never will either.

YukonRon had a great point..."Blanket statements DO NOT apply to ATV's any more than to any other form of prejudice."

That is a great statement and I wish that I had come up with it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

-Josh

Quick Reply: Why is there always a Polaris...........