Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys think the 400 ex compares to the raptor. I like the badass size of the engine in the raptor and I am a big guy and dont want to be boggin down because the bike just doesnt have the power. I also like the reverse on the raptor.

I know this is the honda part of the site and I just would like anyones opinions on these two bikes. I would prefer good solid info and not just bs.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2001, 02:01 AM
Range Rover

The 400 Ex is not shy on power at all. My dad weighs 265 lbs. and it dosen't bog down at all when he is going up hills or anything. But the raptor is no doubt bigger and faster. Plus reverse is a nice feature. But there has been a lot of problems with them. They are both really nice bikes and have a lit of power. So which ever one you get im sure you will be happy with.

Old 09-06-2001, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

i like the 400ex. i think it's the overall bike for anyone to own. it's great on the trail, and track, the raptor isn't very reliable, and i dont care much for it on the trails.. the wieght distrobution seems funny on the raptor, but i'm a little bias, the 400ex is my dream bike. but i honestly do think that the 400ex is the better all around quad though.

Old 09-06-2001, 11:24 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I would purchase whatever feels the best to you. I purchased my raptor to ride trails and it does better than my former 300ex. So far it has been just as reliable as any Honda or Kawasaki I have owned. The workmanship on my Raptor is very good and compares with my Hondas. Chet

Old 09-06-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

You didn't say what kind of riding you do, so it's tough to make any recomendations!!

The Raptor is getting a bunch of mods for next year (rear suspension, wider axel?, etc.), so be sure to get an 02 if you decide to go that way. The Raptors I have ridden with often seem to be kind of tippy, especially for a bike with that much power. So, some added width should be a big improvment.

Old 09-06-2001, 01:04 PM
RIP Dear Friend

YZGUY,
I am not sure what you mean by tippy. I feel like my Recon is tippy at times when going around sharp corners or curves really fast even when using body english to counter act this but my 01 Raptor hangs on and grips really good. Maybe I am not going fast enough yet to make it tip. One thing I liked about my Raptor is its width. You can go on some really tight woods trails with the Raptor. The Raptor is the same width as my former 99 300EX but has longer wheelbase. YZGUY, I just read the test in atv action on the trx90. If I purchase a quad for my little lady it will more than likely be the honda 90. The raptor 80 looks so neat but its so crude under the plastic. How has your o/ring chain held up on the 90?
Chet

Old 09-06-2001, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Bat-What kind of riding do you do? Most people in the forum seem to be Eastern trail riders. One of the magazines did a shootout, and the 400 beat the Raptor and DS on the trails. In open country though, the bigger displacenment bikes are going to be faster.

Chet-It's interesting that I have never thought of the Recon as tippy, but I know quite a few people who do. Actually, I only heard that the Raptor would be widened (I didn't see it in print), so maybe it's not true(?). Anyway, I think the Raptor designers intended the bike for trail riding, so they made it a bit narrow (a couple of inches narrower than the 400 as I recall?). In the dunes or flying down a desert wash this isn't the hot setup. All my sport bikes are 3-4" wider than stock. But, modified Raptors (like +6" rear and +2" front) are beginning to win a few desert races, so they are a credible threat. Anyway, if Yamaha is really going to widen the bike for 02 like I hear, it looks like EVEN YAMAHA AGREES THAT IT'S TIPPY!! What have you heard?

As far as the chain on the 90 goes, havn't put that many miles on it to know. If you ride a lot of mud (we don't) though, a shaft drive might be an important consideration. Does the Yamaha 80 even have rear suspension? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that it doesn't. I think it's like our old Moto 4, the balooney tires are the rear suspension.

Old 09-06-2001, 06:36 PM
RIP Dear Friend

It has its advantages to be thinner here in the Indiana. The 400ex does have wider stance. I just like the dirtbike feel I get when I am on the Raptor. Chet

Old 09-06-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I own a 400ex (440) and love it. But I would say if your a big guy, 250lbs+, that the raptor would probably be a better bike for you. It is a bit bigger and has the torque to pull around more weight. Not sure if they have all the reliability issues worked out but mostly likely you have nothing to worry about.