Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

four stroke tech's 390EX kit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have the 390cc big bore kit for their 300ex? if so, how do you like it? did you notice any increase in power?j/k. i'd like to hear any comments you have about the kit or the power increase you got from it. thanksz

laterz

Old 10-22-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have a friend that HAD one, key word HAD. He sold it because he got tired of working on it. It was very fast (easily beat Banshees) but was VERY unreliable. When you start building them up that much they just don't hold together.

Old 10-22-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

When somebody else says "my brother, my sister, my friend" had a motor that blew up or didn't run right or something else like this without knowing the facts, I get on here to get the facts straight. First of all, what is the customer's name, when did he get the motor, what problems did he have, what problems did he cause? To get on here and say that I build unreliable motors or kits is wrong and I will refute anybody on here that says differently. I am man enough to stand up and say I have done wrong, when I have done wrong, if you have read any of my other postings on here but I also will stand up for my integrity as an engine builder. Also, the new 380's and 390's I am building have even more longevity to them because we have a longer rod to stroke ratio by just boring them out and not stroking them. We always try to develop more longevity in a motor by making them run cooler and more efficient. If you want to talk more about this, put the facts on here and we will get the story straight. You shouldn't post something you don't know anything about.

Old 10-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

Firts of all when i hear something like my bro/cousin or whatever I automatically ignore it because the person is probably just saying that so he can post something, but in your case i would stand up for my products.

Ok Mickey i got a question for you. I got a stock 300ex except for exhaust/ filter jeted carb. If I get just the 330kit-sleeve-piston gaskets how would my stock rod hold up? I'm just 15 and I have just enough to get this kit and I don't want to destroy my lower end. And also do I have to send you my cylinder for you to install the sleeve or can I or a local mechanic do this?

Old 10-22-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm taking mickey's side on this. If his kits were so unreliable then how does he mantain his status as a reputable engine builder? With added horsepower comes added maintaince.

Old 10-22-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

MickeyDunlap

if i ever get a big bore kit for anything i own, i will buy it from you. It is really encouraging to see someone come on here and stand by their product the way you do. it also shows that you care about what people want and not just what you want. Thanks

Old 10-23-2001, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I may know a little more than you want me to tell Mickey. Just because it wasn't my quad don't think I don't know the "facts". It was me that recommended you to my friend. I had one of your 318 kits and it ran very well and was very reliable until the oil pump lost a few teeth. I don't have much respect for a guy that rebuilds my motor and doesn't check to see what caused it to go. Well, that's ANOTHER story. Here's the facts on my friends quad. It started out as a 366. The first thing that happened was the cylinder sleeve broke and seized the motor. After you fixed that the counter shaft broke and blew out the front of the motor. Then, after that was fixed the oil pump went out frying the top end. In order to fix it that time he had to go to a 395. Then he couldn't keep an oil pump in it. After a whole lot of $$$ and time (way too much time waiting for you) he just got fed up with it and sold it. Maybe things have changed for the better at FST, I hope so. A guy doesn't just get a name like One-Lap Dunlap, he earns it.

SMC

Old 10-23-2001, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can tell you everything moto93 has said is true,the friend of his with the FST 395 is my brother.

AMJ

If you haven't seen FST's new web site click here: http://wsphotofews.excite.com/022/ka/gF/Qk/Vx38423.jpg

Old 10-23-2001, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Here we go again. It's still the brother and the friend talking. I don't mean to be smart but someone that doesn't know the difference between a counter-shaft, which is in the back of the motor, and the counter-balancer, which blew out of the front of the motor, hasn't gotten his facts straight so far. As I read through the so-called "facts" of this high-performance motor, I am looking to see what you are saying was my fault. The sleeve broke for whatever reason. I don't know why and that's what I told the customer. When you build a 13:1 high compression motor things happen and that's one of the reasons I don't build this kind of motor any more because there are things you can't explain and it just makes for hard feelings between customer and engine builder. We build a similar motor like this now with 11:1 and a longer rod to stroke ratio and more longevity to it. As far as oil pumps going out or not staying in and counter-balancer bearings going bad and throwing the counter-balancer out of the front of the motor, I don't have answers. Maybe if you are so smart, you can tell me what happened. Do you have the answer? Can you tell me I did something wrong? I don't think so. My apologies if I did do something wrong - I will be the first one to admit it. As far as my "one lap Dunlap" knick-name it came at the end of my racing career from my team mate, Ronnie Fields, who was mad because I wouldn't be in shape and I'd go fast for 1 lap and cruise the rest of the race and still beat him. I don't let people like you get me down because there are so many other people, just like today, saying that they have raced their motor for 3 years and now they want to freshen it up and that's the majority of my customers.

Old 10-23-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Good posting! I'm glad to see no name calling already! Also, all this talk about 4 stroke motors.. makes me looooove my 2 stroke! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, I do believe it is common knowledge that the more modifications you do to a motor, the less longivity it has. Now given, FST has taken humongous steps to lengthen longivity, but they still dont last as long as the factory bores. The bigger the bore, the less life-span. However, I too have heard the "best friend/Brother" stories, and some of them are a little stretchy. I'm not saying moto93 is lying or false in his information, just that its always better to hear straight from the source.

Great post, keep it up!

Quick Reply: four stroke tech's 390EX kit??