Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

YEEE HAWWW just got a brand new......

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2002 Honda TRX400EX!!!!!! Had to get a Yellow one of course. I really must say, this machine is much nicer than my Warrior. I'm glad I didn't buy a new Warrior like I had thought I was going to. Anyway, what kinds of pipes do you guys suggest??? I don't know much about Honda's either. I ride mainly in the woods/trails and I very rarely get into 4th and 5th gears. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Holty!

Congrats on your new Honda! Yeah, I LOVE mine compared to the Warrior I had! I run a White Bros. E-Series pipe on mine - it's great! I also dropped a tooth in my front sprocket, to give me more low end on the trails and the MX track. It's a pretty inexpensive yet noticeable low-end boost. And isn't the gearing just amazing? I rode my hubby's Raptor last weekend, and remembered instantly the Yamaha gearing (hit neutral far too many times!)

Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2001, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, you're exactly right. Too many neutral accidents lol. Did you replace your header pipe too? or just the muffler part? Which E-series pipe do you have? I noticed there are a couple different versions to choose from? Does it stick out further than your grab bar like some pipes do? thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

WB E-series is a good choice--and no, it doesnt stick out past the grab-bar, so you wont whack it when you go to far on a wheelie. Pro Circuit T4 is also solid. Most pipes for the 400EX result in similar (small) power increases. Dont bother changing the header pipe...stock one is perfectly fine for minor to mid engine mods.

If you never really get into 4th & 5th, do like Sandhopper said (mmm, nothin better than babes on quads [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and go with a 14T front sproket...it will add a good amount of pull off the line but look out...you will be doing wheelies a lot easier.

A K&N Jet kit and air filter are good items to install with your pipe too...Have Phun.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

MIA416EX is right. The header pipe on the EX is perfect for minor motor mods. However; when you find yourself addicted to more power(the american way), you will need to replace it. Have fun on the EX, and don't do anything I wouldn't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Good job Holty on choosing the right quad! I also have a Yellow 01' 400EX. It really is an awsome machine. But dont get too carried away, you might just end up in a Hospital looking at the bright lights! And ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!!! $hit happens sometimes. Like this one time at band camp........nah, this one time I was riding on a trail that had alot of rocks on it (I mean big rocks, not a bunch of small ones), anyway, I was riding real slow in like 1st gear so I could go between these 2 big rocks (like squeeze between them) and I got too far on the left rock and my front tire hit it and kinda "bounced" off of it causing me to turn over on my right side and hy head smacked sideways right on that rock right where my temple is! And luckily I was wearing my helmet b/c if I weren't, then I could have messed up my head! All it done was scratched my front and back fenders a little bit and scrapped my elbow on the rock (which I still have a scarr from). I had to get a couple of other guys that was on the same trail to help me get it unwedged from the 2 rocks. And this other time I went up a pretty good sized bank too slow and when I got to the top, I let it go dead while it was in like 1st gear and it started rolling back while in gear and since I didn't pull the clutch in like an idiot, the gear caught and stopped causing it to go back on me. There was these little rocks at the bottom of the bank like the size of base ***** everywhere and my head landed right on one, BUT, I was wearing my helmet and that saved my head and I also rolled out of the way, saving myself. (Man, I have bad luck with rocks....). Anyway, thats my story, goodbye!

Old 10-24-2001, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

jeffman, thanks for the advice and glad to hear you're o.k. My advice to you, is stay away from rocks lol! I ALWAYS wear my helmet though. I learned my lesson on street bikes. I dumped my buddies ninja 500 on a gravel road and my helmet saved my life. I always ride safe. thanks again.

BTW what kinds of mods do you have on your bike?? My bike is a 2002....will 2001 mods work on my bike too? probably, just wonderin.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2001, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Hey again, Holty,

My guess is that 2001 parts will fit the 2002's. I don't think there were any major changes between the last two years - 'cept the graphics and seat design.

And to answer your previous question - I just kept my stock header. I have the E-series pipe with the 12-disk system. Just for the record, I put it on myself and it only took about 15 minutes - fits like a glove. Everything lined up perfectly, and I didn't even have to rejet (didn't mess with my airbox - that's probably why) The other pipe I was considering was Curtis Sparks - but I'm VERY happy with my White Bros.

There was an excellent 400EX pipe shootout in DirtWheels about 5 months ago......if you can get ahold of that issue I think that may help you out. Although they didn't get to test the DMC double barrel pipe - hmmmmmmm. I guess I will always wonder about that one! The one that got away! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Congrats - again!!!

Old 10-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on your new investment. A 2002 Yellow 400ex sounds pretty nice. As for a pipe suggestion, the WB E-series is a good choice, however I have a FMF Powercore IV on my 400ex and am really pleased with the overall increase in torgue and horsepower. My first choice was the WB E-series, but somehow I got talked out of it and into the FMF. I am not disappointed though. I know that the FMF isn't the best pipe out there for the 400ex, but I am still very pleased with it's performance.

As for other pipes that are on the market, I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on an exhaust system. For a decent pipe, you should expect to pay around $250.

Most pipes I don't think stick out past the grab bar on the 400ex. Some may a little bit, but not too much. My Powercore IV pipe sticks out about even with the grab bar.

Anyway, once again congratulations on your new Honda. You are in for some fun times with that machine. I hope that you enjoy it!!!! If you have any other questions regarding your new 400ex feel free to e-mail me or just respond to this forum. Take care.

Old 10-24-2001, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the great advice and all the help. I really appreciate it! I've narrowed down to the PC T4 or the WB E-series. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: YEEE HAWWW just got a brand new......