Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

589 M/T or M/S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which tire is better all around, any difference between the two. experience is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 11-06-2001, 10:34 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I am also wondering the same question.. and Also if the 589 is the tire for me? My Rubicon see's the following:
1. 45-50MPh dirt road blasting (wish it would do 65+ though)
2. Heavy rocks, usally going as fast as i can threw milk crate sized rocks- Need more rim proction!
3. Hard packed clay- very simular to ice, hard to hold 50 in the turns on this stuff
4. there is always the 3 miles of pavement up the road[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
5. Snow, sled trails and frozen lakes always are fun
6. not much mud- but there is always the possabilty

Old 11-07-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

One of the mags just had a shootout with the tires
ITP 589 M/S was(in thier opinion) was a better mudder,
hard pack,snow and all around tire then the Titan 589 M/T.
ITP scored 8.5
Titan scored 8

ITP
the testers said this tire was fabulous in
the mud. Even in high gear, these tires supplied plenty of traction In both the deep, watery mud and the gooey shallow stuff, these tires made it through — even in 2WD. The handling was ideal and the self-cleaning nearly perfect. They
didn’t feel as light as the GBCs, but were very controllable. The ITP 589s worked well in reverse, too.
Overall, these tires are steady. They do a great job of climbing in and out of the mud, and have a somewhat tall feel — though nothing like the Mudzillas or Vampires. Their sidebite is average, but consistent.

Titan
Our test riders said these 27-inch tires gave more of a non-directional pull, or they take you where they want to go, not necessarily where you want to take them. In the loose mud along the side of the soupy hole, the 589 M/Ts provided good handling. In the trench, they did provide some flotation, too. Overall, these Titans weren’t as easy to control as some of the tires. They provide incredible straight-line traction. The test riders said the lack of any real sidebite on the Titan tires made it hard for the Grizzly to climb out of the trench at an angle

These tires scored

Highlifter outlaws 9
Interco Super Swamper Vampires EDL 9.5

I have the 26 589 M/S and thier bears,you can feel each lug grab when your in the mud
Where is Rochell NJ?

Old 11-08-2001, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

great reply 500duse. thanks for the information. Rochelle Park is next to paramus, or hackensack. It is in bergen county 10 minutes from the GWB. Which magazine and issue was that shoot out in, would love to read it. thanks again.

kevin

Old 11-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think (pretty sure) it was ATV action.
Another note is,these tires were tested on the Grizz.

Soooooo,your one of them North Jersey people I always heard about.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'm down here in Egg Harbor Township,just outside
of Atlantic City.
If your ever down this way,give a shout.We got some good trails.

Old 11-08-2001, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

500dose, do you go to blue lake, exit 82a on the parkway, opposite seaside heights? we used to go there all the time, but some dude died and they supposedly shut the play down. Don't want to risk going there unless I get the word that the cops aren't bustin ***** anymore. I might take u up on that shout, After I get my bada$$ tires off course, thanks again,

Old 11-08-2001, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

No,but I'v heard of crystal lakes up around Warton state forest.
Do you ever ride in Bellplain,woodbine,or portnorris down this way?
On the weekends theres atleast a 1000 quads and bikes.I'd have to say 500-600 of them are some of stupidest people you'll ever see.
Everytime someone goes in the pit it makes us all look bad.
If the state troopers raid it in the winter they go around putting fliers on all the trucks (for 2 weeks they do this)saying they'll be comeing in on such and such a date.
But in the summer when all the tourist are in they have a field day .They just come in and start writting tickets and impounding.

Old 11-09-2001, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Try neither ! My rubicon works great on a set of 27" Maxxis Mudbugs. 27/10/12's on all four corners and the bike is awsome. As I am not one for speed I can't help you there, but I can tell you that compared to 589's, the mudbugs will save you 25lbs. I figure that old formula of power to weight should work well here.....just do the math. They work well in the mud, and seem real smooth on the hard trail!

Old 11-09-2001, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

Try whatever you want.

Maxxis Mud Bugs score'ed 8
Maxxis sent us two sets of this tire to test (27 x 10-12, 27 x 12-12). The best combination could be to run the 10-12 on the front and the wider tires in the rear. Each tire measured almost 28 inches tall, despite being 27-inch tires. Lug depth was just more than one inch. They have a huge look and size, but are lighter in weight. The 10-12s weighed 39 pounds, and the 12-12s hit 43.5 pounds, even on steel wheels.
The Mud Bugs provided a good straight-ahead pull. They seemed to work more effectively in low range, and had no problem in reverse. Their large angled, sloping lugs worked well at providing floatation and paddle-effect in the watery mud.
The tires need a definite sidewall bite for improved climbing out of the pit. On occasion, the test riders found it hard to make the Grizzly get out of the trench. The tires would keep pulling forward instead of turning and pulling out of the pit. Their self-cleaning properties were good.

How the hell do you post a link on here??

Old 11-09-2001, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

null

If this works go to mud baths