Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

? about riding on powerlines......

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`m with Say-It-Fmf!!
If your daughter only rides where it is formally authorized, then she`s gonna miss a lot of fun!

Do whatever you want, as long as you`re respectful, you won`t have problems. And who cares if you have the right to or not! Ride until you are told not to...then you will have to stop.

Knowsalot, here in Quebec (north of Montreal)...there are NO places where we`re allowed to ride during summer (except 2 hours north). There are lots of sandpits, powerlines trails...etc. It`s forbidden everywhere! I ride there the same, along with lots of people, because there are no houses in any near proximity (and we aren`t any noisier than the nearby highway anyways)...am I a jacka$$ for doing that? I think not.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

To Knowsalot: Like someone said earlier, i have read some of your past posts and respected what you have said, but this post here has lost that respect. To personally attack someone b/c there asking for knowledge is childish if you ask me. I highly doubt that you have never ridden on property you didnt own or have permission to. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

As for the actual question, heres what i was told about tresspasing laws where i live. For you to even get in trouble you have to be warned first by the party whose land you are tresspassing on either verbally or a letter. 1st time caught is not grounds for arrest or ticket, UNLESS they have no tresspassing signs up at least every 40 yards. Then that is your warning. Every 40 yards is so that someon cant cross the land and say, "I didnt see the sign cause its way over there". I was told this by both local law enforcment and my county board.

Old 11-09-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

<< As far as someone being a jacka$$ about doing something like that is just the kind of attitude that shuts down our riding areas and gives the entire industry a bad image >>

Knowsnothing,
Attitudes like yours is the only thing that gives us a bad image. I guess I am a jacka$$ too because I have ridden under powerlines for 15+ years and never had a problem or complaint.

Jeffman,
I would suggest riding respectfully in the area. If somebody doesn't want you to ride back there, they will tell you. In Michigan if someone doesn't want you on their property, they post a sign. Also much of the land that the powerlines are on here, is state owned.

Old 11-09-2001, 11:23 PM
The Facility

I must have mislead you guys somewhere. My post was towards jeffman AND mudman2k1.

The modest and informative part was meant to be for jeffman

The part about the name calling and outlaw terms were meant for mudman2k1 and you other guys who seem to think that it is okay t o ride on someone's land just because it is there or just because you've done it for years and haven't been caught.

Maybe it was a mistake on my part for not implieing what was meant for whom. I did not mean to disrespect you jeffman.

You guys are criticizeing my reaction towards someone who admits they are engaging in criminal activities. You guys that are blasting me for it admit to it too. If that's the way you view it, then fine. The sentence made by mudman2k1 was inmature to say the least: &quot;some jackass who didn't even work for them.&quot;

As far as riding areas in Canada, I would have no clue, but the sport really is heading back to the gloom days.

I don't have an attitude problem. If any of you have kids, you would have understood what I meant. Call me an over protective Dad.

One final comment is that when I wrote the post, I wasn't mad at anyone here, and didn't mean to offend you guys as people. It seems a comment that I made yesterday on the Suzuki board ended up the same way this one has. I had to work today and didn't get a chance to see these posts that followed.

If I had, I would have already said this to you guys so that you would understand that, even with the words that I chose, I wasn't trying to start an arguement over it.

You guys live farther away from me, so maybe you don't have the problems with what I call outlaws.

Hope you guys can understand. I haven't been on this forum board long and would hate to start it off by having people think that I'm only here to cause trouble.

KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-10-2001, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

jeffman, do the sport a favor and get permission from the land owners. If you do, you will have no worries. If you don't, you could help ruin it for everyone else. Ride only where it's legal and &quot;Ride with Pride&quot;.
Only an IRRESPONSIBLE PINHEAD rides there just because it doesn't say, &quot;No Trespassing&quot;, or because they haven't been caught yet.
Get PERMISSION or STAY OUT!!
I don't have a &quot;No Trespassing&quot; sign on the door to my house either, but don't push your luck!!

The ONLY way to gain respect for yourself, is to show respect for others.

Old 11-10-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

<< It is illegal. If the company only owns right of way rights, then you are really screwed. If you crossed 5 different landowners on your little spree down the road, you could be charged 5 times for trespassing. As far as someone being a jacka$$ about doing something like that is just the kind of attitude that shuts down our riding areas and gives the entire industry a bad image. I am a member of the BlueRibbon Coalition,AMA, and a few others so I DO have the right to speak up on the matter since my money went to preserve what riding areas you punks haven't shut down already. Not that my 4 year old daughter plays near the powerlines, which wouldn't matter anyway,being that is my land. But if you and your outlaw buddies came riding by her at 40+mph, you can bet your a$$ that a tespassing charge would be the last thing on my mind.
Find a riding area near you that is legal and stay away from riding in places that could cause problems later on. And as far as the trailer goes, show some respect, I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear the same annoying racket every five minutes on your day off from work, would you.
Just put yourself in other peoples shoes and think of how your neighbors feel about quads in general. But hey, get permission, respect the land owners around you, you did it the right way. Try it and see what happens, you never know.
>>

KNOWSALOT, that post DID offend me! But dont worry guys! We wont be hearing from KNOWSALOT too much longer b/c I reported his post to the moderators due to disrespect and name calling, you will be banned! If I was you KNOWSALOT, I would not be going around to different forums and pissing people off b/c that WILL lead you to getting your computer booted by some hacker! That means that all of your programs, downloads, software will be LOST! Trust me, it can and will happen!

Anyway, I went riding on the powerlines yesterday and come to find out, somebody else already has a 4-wheeler and already has trails over there. But there is 1 problem. The guys that has the 4-wheelers came over on my grandpas land and he ran them off. So now my grandpa put up a fence where the hole in the fence was and the gate that was there is locked. Sooo, what im thinking about doing is putting up a gate and putting a chain and lock on it so nobody can get through. As I was riding on the powerlines, I didn't see no other fences, pastures, no tresspassing signs or anything. It just leads to a road and theres a gas line that crosses the powerline &amp; goes to somebody's backyard, which I think is the people that has the 4-wheelers b/c I seen some trails behind their house in the woods, but I didn't ride on them, I just stayed on the gas line and power lines. If I can get a gate put up I dont think nobody will care b/c there is other people that ride there also and they dont mind. Thanks for the replys of the people that had respect, it helped me out alot. What I am going to do is put me up a gate and just start riding there until somebody says I cant. If they do, I will stop, no questions asked. And KNOWSALOT, I didn't really want a reply from you if your going to be a smartass about it. Your post didn't help me at all. It just made things worse (for you) b/c now you will be banned from the forums. And Gergb, I was kinda offended by the way you posted your post. But thanks again for the guys that helped me out instead of putting me down!

-Jeff

Old 11-10-2001, 08:37 PM
The Facility

Sorry you feel the way you do jeffman. If I get removed from this forum for stating my opinions on this topic, about 90% of you guys would be following. I made my apology and I will leave it at that with or without your understanding of it.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-10-2001, 10:19 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Remember jeffman what you say can come back to haunt you. that WILL lead you to getting your computer booted by some hacker! That means that all of your programs, downloads, software will be LOST! Trust me, it can and will happen!

Chet

Old 11-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

Aren't there any other riding areas near there than power line roads? If not then I didn't realize how blessed we are in California. We have more legal riding areas than I will ever be able to ride on. (At least for now, who knows with all the green groups trying to shut everything down all the time). Just my 2cents.

Old 11-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

and i accept your appology. Its up to the mods to weather or not you leave. I would just from now on be nice and if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all. Then the mods might not bann you. They might just keep an eye on you for now to see how you act.

And RAPTORY....its been done to me before, so thats how I know. When I first got my comp. I made some people mad, until somebody got mad and booted my comp., then I stopped. Now I try not to. But now I have virus protection and hacker protection. But now a days, people can get around those...

Quick Reply: ? about riding on powerlines......