Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will 87 250R a-arms fit on my 87 250x?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking into buying a set of used front a arms for my 250x. Does anyone know or has anyone ever seen this done, im pretty sure that it SHOULD work. i know that i will have to move my shock mounts too. anyone with info please help me out!! thanks alot

Luke
"A Loyal Honda Rider"

Old 12-03-2001, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a buddy that races quad nationals , he has a 300ex that has been bored to a 330 , it has 250r a arms , 400ex shocks , an rpm swingarm , rpm axle and its bad. i htink the 300ex frame is the same as the 250x frame , he had some mounting tabs welded to the frame so that the a arms would mount up. im not quite sure how he did it but his email address is chris17rob@aol.com hes a really nice guy and will tell you how he did it. his 300 looks awesome and he told me it will outrun a stock 400. hope this information helps you out , casey

Old 12-03-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

The 87-89 A-Arms will bolt righ up. The 86's wont because they have some metal tabs on the ends. If you run 250R or 400EX front shocks you'll have to relocate the top shock mounts. I'm waiting for my 250R arms to come in that I bought off of E-bay. I'll post and let ya know what I think about it.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks guys. I was pretty sure it would work, Ill prolly be buying them pretty soon. Im just going to have some trouble with the remount the shock mounts. anyone else with info please, dont be shy, share it with everyone! thanks

BIGDOG

Old 12-04-2001, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Instead of buying a relocating kit I contacted durablue on one of their lowering kits for the front end. They said it'd work to rais the shock mounts higher to accomidate for the longer shocks. It's worth the $70 I think.

Old 12-04-2001, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

The lowering kit wouldnt help since its lowering the shock mount, i need to raise it up so my a-arms dont sit at such a harsh angle. With the wider a-arms and longer shocks the top mounting bracket needs to be moved up. So i am going to have to move the mount up. Im pretty positive thats what i need to do. The lowering kit is good for flat track and ice racing but i plan on racing some MX.

BigDog

Old 12-05-2001, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Go to my site and click on projects. I have a section about this.

Old 12-05-2001, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< The lowering kit wouldnt help since its lowering the shock mount, i need to raise it up so my a-arms dont sit at such a harsh angle. With the wider a-arms and longer shocks the top mounting bracket needs to be moved up. So i am going to have to move the mount up. Im pretty positive thats what i need to do. The lowering kit is good for flat track and ice racing but i plan on racing some MX.

BigDog
>>

UM yea ............a lowering kit raises the shock mounts thus LOWERINGthe quad, thats why they call it a lowering kit, if they did it the way you described it it would be known as a LIFT KIT. PS i dont think the lowering kit would be good because it decreases the shock angle which in turn makes the shocks softer.

Old 12-05-2001, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the correction. I stated that whole thing wrong, i was pretty out of it last night when i wrote that. Yeah anyway, to make the frame geometry right i need to move the shock mounts up. ATV Racing has a kit, but i dont plan on buying, i plan on getting some good metal and have the nearby welding shop weld me up a new mount along with my help. Brad_L I visited your site and examined the pictures you had on your site. It looks like maybe you have the new mounts on the X to wide. I would have thought you should have kept the mounts directly above the originals. The frame geometry between the R and X are different and the front ends arent the same. I was just wondering what you thought about this. Thanks for anything else guys!

BIGDOG

Old 12-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I just read my post again and I sounded like a dick, sorry bout that.

Quick Reply: Will 87 250R a-arms fit on my 87 250x?