Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 4x4 ES vs Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am torn between buying a Rancher 4x4ES and a Rubicon. The Rancher would save me big bucks and is a lot lighter, 65 lbs to be exact; but it also has one rear shock and is about 170cc smaller in engine size. Although the money matters, it is not what will make my decision. Please give me some input from some of you that have rode either or both.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Come on someone, give me some input. I went to may dealer today to buy the Rancher 4x4ES but after checking out the Rubicon I'm just not sure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2001, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Well I traded in my Rancher for a Rubicon 3 weeks ago, the main reason was all my buddies are riding 500 cc Quads, I'm 6'2" 230lbs and we travel with lots of gear and there was the odd time the Rancher couldn't make a hill or on long straights I'd fall too far behind, the ride was a little harsh at times but I loved that little Rancher! The Rubicon is quite a bit stronger, bigger and the transmission feels really cool, Ive only ridden it 30 kms so I can't give you a lot of detail on the Rubicon but I did a lot of reading before I bought the Ruby and almost all Rubicon owners love them.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

I just sold a 2001 Rancher ES 4x4 to get a 2002 Rubicon. I like the power of the Rubicon, but the Rancher was a lot easier to get around on. The specs show the Rancher as only being 55-65lbs. lighter, but in real life it feels like 100lbs. I love the transmission on the Rubicon and the extra cc's are nice, but you won't be dissapointed in a Rancher either. I think the Rancher rides better and it's definately easier to maneuver. It boils down to what you want to spend and what your needs are. If you're a little conerned about money, buy the Rancher and never look back. If money's no object, get the Rubicon and enjoy the auto and 499cc's.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

the rancher is very underpowered for a 350.get the rubicon and you wont have no regrets between them two.you get the rancher and everyone will blow you away ///you will always eat dust.PLUNKER///will your sportsman 400 outrun your rubi??????how close are they?

Old 12-04-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

First off there is NO replacement for displacement. You can do what you want to that Rancher and it will never pull like a 500. I had a Rancher and got the Rubicon and had them both for over a year. The steering is easier on the Rubicon. Its so much easier, my wife had me sell the Rancher to get something better for her. The Rancher is anice quad, but the Rubicon is a much nicer one.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

What are your needs? If you are doing a lot of light, technical trail riding, I think the Rancher would be better. If you are pulling stumps or carrying big loads, the Rubi might be better.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am doing a lot of trail riding. Some mud but nothing too bad. I am a little scared of the Electric Shift. Will it hold up under heavy trail riding?

Old 12-04-2001, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

The electric shift has been out for four model years now. It was introduced in the 98 Foreman 450 ES and has proven itself over those years. I'm always skeptical about "electronic" stuff, but after owning the Rancher ES I wouldn't go back to a foot shift model. I know several people with 450 ES's and Rancher ES's and none have ever experienced a problem with the electric shift.

I know people have different opinions, but I think my Rancher was easier to steer than my Rubicon. It might be the difference in tires, 25" Mudrunners on the Rancher vs 26" 589's on the Rubicon, but the Rubicon seems to take a lot more effort. I found a few times the Rancher was underpowered and that's the main reason I bought the Rubicon, that and I could'nt resist the Yellow color. I personally don't think there's a better looking machine made.

I suggest you ride both. Try to find someone that will let you ride in real conditions, not the dealers parking lot, and compare them. Check your budget, buy, and enjoy.

Old 12-04-2001, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

Hey boneylong I've only had the Ruby for a couple of weeks and I haven't had a chance to run the wife on her Sportsman 400 but I can say that I can't seem to stay on the throttle as much as I can on her Sportsman so I would say the Ruby will get to where you want to be a little sooner. The 400 has a good top end maybe a few miles an hour faster than the Rubicon, from what I've read the Rubicon will do 55 mph and I've had the sportsman up to close to 60 mph. The Rubicon will accelerate faster though!

Quick Reply: Rancher 4x4 ES vs Rubicon