Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

DG Nerf Bars unsafe on 400ex???

Old 11-08-1999, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a set of DG Nerf Bars yesterday on my 400ex. I got them for a little extra safety in case my foot doesn't find the peg or slips off. On the 400ex, you are forced to remove the plastic section that prevents your foot from falling back into the abyss found behind the rear peg. So I gained a greater safety margin to the front and side of the foot peg but opened up some real problem arear behind the rear peg. I installed DG Nurfs on a Warrior a few weeks back and the nerfs fit right under the stock crap so you had the best of both worlds. Does anybody out there have a product to fill in the gap, has anyone fabricated something to fill this gap? I took me hours just to thread the stinkin nylon webbing onto these, should I just return them or can I make this work?

Old 11-08-1999, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

If you got the nerfs to keep your foot from falling down off the peg and under the quad, that is not what they are for. It may save you once or twice, but if you can't keep your foot on the peg, sooner or later, your foot is going to slip through the net. Then you will be bummin' for sure. (depending on how fast you are going, and what the ground is like). The stock foot protectors are nice because IF your foot comes off (it shouldn't) they have those wide plastic wings to deflect your leg outside the tire. Yes, this has happened to me several times, so, I am not trying to preach to you. :-)
Nerfs are for racing. They keep other quads from jamming into your foot and driving on you. They just get in the way when you are doing technical hill climbing or brush bashing.

Ride on...
phil

Old 11-08-1999, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're feet are bouncing off the pegs, I have to think it is more of a riding style problem with possibly a suspension damping adjustment problem. Are you landing stiff legged? If so the impact is what is causing you to lose your footing. Try landing, or when riding standing, as over technical areas, with your knees bent and I'll bet your feet will stay on the pegs..in addition you'll experience less fatigue due to the additional shock absorbsion of two more shocks, or four more, if you aren't already riding the attack position with elbows high & bent.
Also, I see some of the more serious desert riders using double footpegs for better body weight distribution, if you bike will accept the modification.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-08-1999, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

I realize this isn't the main purpose for nerfs and I don't really have a problem with keeping my feet on the pegs, but the way they worked with the stock stuff on the Warrior was so cool I decided to go for it for five times a year I slip off the peg or miss the peg and also they look cool. You really should see the way it looks and works on the Warrior, it is really nice. So back to my original question, has anyone modified their DG Nurfs or done something to protect there foot from slipping too far back?

Old 11-08-1999, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Return the POS DG's (I've also heard complaints that they bend too easy), and buy the AC Racing nerfs. The AC nerfs are designed to be installed with all the stock foot protectors in place. I've had AC nerfs on my 400EX for over a year, and they've held up great. I highly recommend the AC nerfs.

-BruceR
'99 400EX (w/AC nerfs)
'95 300EX (w/AC nerfs)

Old 11-09-1999, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cant help you out with the rear foot guards but I can tell you that nerf bars have more than one purpose. See 400ex broken knee. you can laugh if you want

Old 11-09-1999, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

I have dg nerf bar on my 300ex and i find they work well without those *** flimsy plastic gards i was glad to take them things off!!!

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS RIDE RED OR GO HOME!!