Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX burns entire tank of oil in 4 hours..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes thats right!!! From full on dipstick to dry in 4 1/2 hours of riding!!
The bike runs awsome and so damn strong though....

Question, how much TYPICALLY would my local honda dealer charge to re-ring my motor if I bring the motor to them? What If I tear the top end down? How much labor will it cut off?
Im not affraid of taking the 4 stroker apart, just putting it back together with the timing chain and all that valve train scares me.

Opinions appreciated, thanks!

-Matt

Old 01-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

OUCH!!! I feel your pain! I've had my filter pop off at a MX race (on a dry, dusty day too). Most ATV shops charged between $30-$60 bucks an hour (Ouch once again!) If your going to have this done, I HIGHLY recommend getting new valve seals (like 5 bucks apeice), otherwise, don't be supriesed if it still burns some oil afterwards.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

It burns that in 4 hours!! How would you ride from all the smoke?? lol Are you sure it is all being burnt and not dripping out? It could be a cracked case or stripped bolt at bottom of oil tank. Just check all connections before you strip it down. I hope all goes well--MB

Old 01-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Make sure its not leaking.....if not, you may want to re-ring and maybe even go with a size over...HOW TO REASSEMBLE-install the rings on new piston, chrome ring on top, bigger steal ring on bottom, now your oil rings, make sure any and all lettering on rings is face up, all ring gaps 180 of each other...put the piston on the rod, slide cylinder on, now put head on....pull plugs on side case to see your timing marks, line up the notch in case with the T....piston is at tdc, now will all cam lobes down, put cam gear on, the bolt holes should be at 9 and 3 o'clock(or bolt holes are top and bottom with marks ....flush with top of head, I forget but you cant go wrong with all lobes down), pull timing chain over gear, pull gear up on sprocket, tighten bolts good.....presto, motor is in time....be sure to back off or take your timing chain tensior off, it makes putting the chain on the gear easier.....a stick magnet comes in handy if you drop the chain to the bottom end, make sure if you do drop it, you get it back on the bottom gear.....dont pay someone to do this dude, do it yourself, its easy.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advise on doing the job myself, maybe I will do this.

No it is deffinetly not leaking it. You only can see a little black smoke when at a stand still and you rev the crap out of it... Bike makes no smoke when riding. Weird, huh?
Anyways, no it is not leaking. No oil leaks at all.

-Matt

Old 01-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

dude if it was burning that much oil it would be smoking so bad you couldnt see behind it. are you sure its not leaking?

Old 01-27-2002, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Wait a sec...what are you doing to check your oil? I know that on mine, if i check the oil without letting it cool off for a min it will read really low, but if I let it sit for a few min it is at full.

Old 01-27-2002, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, not leaking for sure. Bike has NO oil leaks.
It does not smoke while riding either.

Does not matter when I check it. Before the ride today, It was full... a little over full actually.. and yes I did fill, then ride, then re-fill.
After a 4 hour ride today, oil dipstick is showing maybe 1/4 inch of oil on the stick.
Hot, cool, have checked it numerous times. It is the same reading.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I was just wondering...It'd suck to have torn down a whole motor and find out that the problem was in how you were checking it.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

why the heck are you riding your ATV not running right? your only going to make things worse and cost more in the long run.

Quick Reply: 400EX burns entire tank of oil in 4 hours..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!