Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking on getting a Used fourwheeler (honda Preferibly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ), Be cause I want a good sport Type ATV that I can jump(no higher than 5 ft.)lol, but not too costley(under 2300)or too big. And i'm wondering which ATV I need for what I will be doing with it. I would mostly be using it for Climbing hills, going in mud and water 1-2 feet deep,Trails,Hunting, And a small ATV track. Thanx [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 02-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

You're looking to spend too little money for such high expectations. You always get what you pay for!!! If you buy cheap..... You get cheap !!!!!. I recommend buying the Honda 400 or wait a couple of weeks for the new suzuki Z400. You will not regret spending the extra cash for a BAD$SS machine! Unless you are mechanically inclined and know exactly what you are looking at, you may end up with someone else garbage. Be careful on you selection

Old 02-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Fez
Range Rover

well really it depends on your size. How big are you? You can get a 2001 blaster used for that price. If you are bigger you can get a early 90's late 80's 300ex or warrior. I think the bast thing for you would be a 98-00 lakota. You want to jump and want to do utility and hunt. It is basically a sport quad with racks. the mud 2 feet deep your not gonna do with anything in your price range. sorry. If your not too big get the blaster.

Old 02-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

Ok,
I looked at the Lakota and REALLy liked it ( I saw it in the Feb issue of Dirtwheels Mag. on the shoot-out between the Lakota 300 and the 250ex) but even used ones were quite exspencive, I'm 5'4" and weigh around 115 But I LOVE TO GO FAST AND JUMP!!! But i don't have a job so i'm trying to work something out with my dad (lol),so thats when i started looking into the 300ex and 250x cause if i look for a 92' or so then they are pretty cheap (like around 2200)...Thanx...So i guess i should go for a used lakota (great Quad) but are they reliable?..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 02-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Fez
Range Rover

The lakota is a great quad and is reliable. As long as you keep up with the matenaince. Oil, run good gas, and all that other good stuff. Kawasaki products are alot more reliable than people give them credit for. also when you actually find one make sure that it hasnt been beaten too bad by its previous owner.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

...And the other thing is Ive looked into the Blaster and they are OK but ive heard a lot of negative things about them and the are 2-strokes Which i'm kinda new to this sport and i don't want to have to maitain it too much...

Mike

Old 02-21-2002, 08:51 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Look for a maintained 93-96 300EX. It can do most everything you demand.
Chet

Old 02-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2001 lakota that I am very pleased with. It will be able to do everything that you want. However, the speed is not there (53mph). It is extremely reliable, has NEVER left me sit on a trail and is easy to maintain. A great entry level machine and I highly recommend it. I am trading mine in today for a 2002 Raptor because I have out grown my machine already. I am 6' and 240lbs. I need something bigger to keep up with the crew that I ride with. With no job and a limited income, you will not go wrong with the lakota. Good Luck

Old 02-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

There are tons of used Honda's in the $2,000 range that fit all the prerequisites you have except one: four wheels. Check out the used CR250's in your local Cycle Trader. CR250's are faster and will climb and descend slopes that quads can't go anywhere near.

A friend of mine recently baught a used, veteran owned, super clean (like new) '95 KX250 with a ton of aftermarket goodies for $2,200. I'm a quad guy, but for those looking to get into off-roading who are on a budget and want a real performance machine, it's hard to beat a used mx dirt bike.

I see some great prices on ATC250R's too. You can have basically the same performance as a high performance quad at a more reasonable price.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer

If you do some serious looking, you can find a good deal in a used one. I bought a 1985 Honda 200 fourtrax for only 500.00. It needed tires , but was in good shape, needed a few minor things, but served me well for an entire hunting season, often with a passenger, and even with game on it! It went everywhere I needed it to go. I just sold it for 950.00 last week.