Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda,s fix for high altitude riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought 2 new 450 foreman es for my wife and i. We have 22 miles on them and they run really poor. I called the dealer where i bought them, twin falls idaho, and told him about the peformance . He said they needed re jetted that they had 130 jets and they needed 120 jets. I live and ride at 5000 feet. He said this would coast 95.00 to have this done. I asked him why he didnt tell me this when i bought them, he said i didnt ask. Ok he got me on that one. I thought just for the heck of it i would call american honda i told them about this and they were going to call back.4 days later i called them back and a gentleman by the name of steve told me that honda would not re jet the 450s that i could pay for it or take them to a lower altitude to ride them. Just remember to ask the dealer BEFORE you buy if you live above 3000 feet.

Old 03-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

thats with any atv it happens.

Old 03-09-2002, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Still, what kind of dealer sells you something he knows will not work? The kind that doesn't deserve your business, or anyone else's. The local Honda dealer here is about that lame, too. I wouldn't trust him to fix a flat tire right, let alone something mechanical. On the other hand, the Yamaha dealer here really goes the extra mile to make customers happy, he has an excellent reputation, and people come back again and again to buy from him. Help us out by posting the name of this scumbag dealer. The good guy dealer here in Grand Junction is James at All Terrain Motorsports.

Old 03-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Stevenp, that's a load of bull!!! The dealer should jet that for you, without you having to ask and at no charge before it rolls out his door. I've not bought any Hondas around here (6000+ feet altitude) but everyone I know including me that has bought a new machine received it properly jetted from the dealer; that would be mainly Yamaha and (yuk) Polaris dealers. The Polaris dealer here is a joke but at least he jets when you buy it.

Old 03-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Nampa Idaho and if you bring it to my house I will rejet it for you for free. I also now the dealer in twin and they should rejet it for your riding altitude. Its not really that hard to rejet a carb maybe 15 min. and a few dollars for a jet. No matter what they should do it to keep up good P.R.

Old 03-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a new Rancher owner, living in Oklahoma around 800' elevation. Am planning a family trip to Lake City Colorado this summer... what do I need to do to insure my nifty little Rancher can haul my fat rear up those mine trails?

What size jets?
ANy other concerns?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi ScarryLarry, I also am from OKC and planning a trip to Lake City this summer with three friends from work. Two of them are bringing dirt bikes, one is unsure, and I'm bringing my 2002 foreman. The Honda salesman were I bought mine said I probably will not have to rejet the carb. But, he also said if I have any performance problems while there to take it to the local Honda dealer and have it rejetted. Have you been to Lake City before?

Old 03-11-2002, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

A few years ago, I got screwed the same way on my dirtbike. If you know this ahead of time, you can usually get them to re-jet for free. Most dealers in the Denver area are starting to re-jet everything they sell without you having to ask.

The bad thing is, you can have two identical quads and one will run perfect with one set of jets... the other will run poorly. Happened on my two 400EX's.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

ScareyLarry-I live at about 1,000' elevation, and this is what my Ranchers are jetted for. I ride everything from low desert (below sea level!), high desert (up to 4,500'), my local mountains (7,000'), and the Sierras (over 10,000'). Frankly, I have never found it worth the trouble to rejet for a short trip (weekend), even at extreme altitude. Sure the bike doesn't run as well, but it's not so bad that it is worth the trouble of a rejet.

One of my favorite rides starts out at about 4,000' and ends up at over 10,000'. If I jet for the high altitude, I would be lean at the low altitudes. For a longer trip, you could change out the main. But, if you do this at home, you are really just guessing at what it should be, and the chances that you will get the jetting spot-on are not great. You have to decide if it is worth the trouble!!

Old 03-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my Recon at 5000 feet but it was still set up for below 3000ft. Most dealers sell them like that.

WHY? if you take an ATV jetted for high altitude to a lower altitiude, it will run too lean and overheat (which could damage the engine) If you take an ATV jetted for low altitude to a higher altitude, it just runs bad. So they are just preventing someone from ruining a brand new ATV.

I ride from 8000-13000 feet so I had to rejet from a 95 (stock) to 82. It cost me $55, that is the going rate at most ATV dealers (in WY and CO).

Quick Reply: Honda,s fix for high altitude riding