ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Raptor 400ex or big bear 4x4? HELP ME! IM GOING CRAZY (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/59918-raptor-400ex-big-bear-4x4-help-me-im-going-crazy.html)

thunderpower 03-18-2002 09:41 PM

As some of you know, my "make believe" friend is going to buy me a quad. I have a price limit, its under 12000. Is the raptor all the 400ex is and more? Coming from the warrior, will the 400ex have more power, suspention and handling qualities? I also considered a 2002 big bear 4x4.

Those are my choices!
'02 raptor
'02 400ex
'02 big bear 4x4

The big bear 4x4: Is what most people have around here, utility quads, I live in the country, there are farms all around me, no mx tracks, and its a dirt road, there are a couple trails in the forests, and its always easy to find a new trail, there are no i repeat NO cops around here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], iv only seen 2 cops come down this road in the 4 years iv lived here, once I was arrested, and the other time I ran with my friends. I think I could really use a utility quad because all my friends have them, it gets really muddy here when it rains, racks I could use, and I usually pull trailors with my friends ut. quads. Its got 2wd and 4wd which is why Im considering the big bear 4x4, good gc, and suspention travel. Is the handling any good? Whats the turning radius in 2wd? Good brakes too! Hydrolic disk up front with sealed drum in the rear.

The raptor: Its fast, thats all I can say, its fast, good suspention.

The 400ex: Great overall, maintinance free, good brakes, okay power, good suspention, its also acceptably fast!

Which quad do you think is best for me?

Please dont consider and other quads, please dont flame, and please dont post anything about my friend.

whats the turning radius and handling like on the big bear 4x4 when in 2wd?

CCRERaptor 03-18-2002 09:58 PM

just listen to everything you just said, sounds to me like you want the 4x4

KILLER250R 03-18-2002 10:01 PM

Well if everyone else has 4X4's it will get real old getting stuck all the time on a 400EX or Raptor. But if they just ride and not just mud all the time then I'd go with the 400EX. No need for a Raptor if your just gonna ride with utility quads, they don't handle that great anyhow. But from reading your post it sounds like you'd be best with some 4X4. The big bear sure as heck wouldn't be my choice but you said don't consider other quads so good luck with the bear or whatever it is you end up with.

Quadfather 03-18-2002 10:01 PM

When someone buys a maintenance free quad. It usually ends up in the shop, due to "lack of maintenance"

Quit stressing out on your decision. Your buddy is still laughing his a$$ off at you.

thunderpower 03-18-2002 10:01 PM

I also want the power, suspention and handling of a raptor or 400ex.

The raptor i probobly wont even get, because its too much power coming off a warrior, I dont think I could handle it.

The 400ex or the big bear 4x4, i gotta think hard!

Quadfather 03-18-2002 10:06 PM

"The Raptor has too much power, I don't think I could handle it"

That's the first sensible thing you've said in all of your posts.

thunderpower 03-18-2002 10:10 PM

Ill disregard the comment killer250r. What would you consider? Please, leave the raptor out of this, its not in my choices anymore. Its not between the 400ex and the big bear 4x4.

Pull start: good if the battery dies

Reverse: good for trails and tight places

4wd+2wd: is really cool, 4x4 for mud and 2x4 for riding around.

Low gearing: good for pulling loads

Trailor hitch: pulling anything

Winch: helps pull me out of hell holes

Racks: putting chicken feed on them, letting my friend sit on them while I drive him to his mailbox.

Big tires: MUD!

400ex

Power: FUN!

Suspention: good suspention for jumping

Handling: good for trails

Is there a key switch on the 400ex? I cant it in the pictures at honda.com

Brakes are very good

HONDA QUALITY!

But i still want the 4x4...

Is the big bear 4x4 powerful? I rode a 350 2x4 big bear, the power was just fine for what I do, does the 400 have a great notice of more power?

KNOWSALOT 03-18-2002 10:11 PM

LOL....I second that. I know you don't want to consider other machines, but you will not find what you are asking for in your selection of quads by no means. Go look at a Wolverine or dare I say it.......a Polaris

KILLER250R 03-18-2002 10:14 PM

KNOWSALOT, I was just gonna say that! but to add to that I personaly really like the Foreman 450S with traxlock. You can fit some big mudders on there and I just love the way the ride, the decent amount of power ect ect. If I ever got a utility 4X4 it would probably be the 450S or maybe the Rubicon.

KNOWSALOT 03-18-2002 10:17 PM

Man, it's hard to keep up with the posts on this one!!

Thunderpower, normally I don't say anything about ridiculous posts, but this one is one of the worst I've seen in some time.

It is quite obvious that you have no idea of what your looking for. You are no where near ready to buy a quad. Maybe, if you were buying it with your own money, it wouldn't be so hard to decide since you would be the one stuck paying the payments every month. If you own a Warrior, maybe you should just keep it a while.

Sorry to have to break it to ya laddie. Good luck with whatever you do.