Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying Rubicon or Foreman or Rancher tomorrow - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002 | 08:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I'll keep this brief - just bought a new Rancher 4x4 ES last week for my wife and it's great. Now I need a new machine and am leaning hard toward the Rubicon but the fact that it's only the second model year concerns me in that Honda may not have all (most?) of the bugs worked out yet.

The Foreman 4x4 ES is a good machine but the ground clearance is a problem in our rocks and brush - we ride in dry, rocky, steep canyon country - plus it's only $600 less than the Rubi. The Rancher is also a darn good machine but it might be too light for my farm/hunting/utility usage - so I end up back where I started, at the Rubicon.

I don't expect it to be perfect, just to get me home. Plus, I live 120 miles from the nearest dealer so I can't just run across town for warranty service.

So, current Rubi owners - what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have, I think I'm confusing myself with the options instead of just going with the Rubicon.

Rob

Old 03-25-2002 | 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Between teh atv's that you have mentioned let me say that the Rubicon is by far the most capable by far. I own a 2001 and love it. I have owned, ridden, and sold more atv's in the last 15 years than I care to remember (I am 32), and with one exception the Rubicon is the most impressive machine I have ever ridden. The only exception is the Kawasaki 650 v-twin (WOW WHAT A ENGINE) however I like the options the transmission gives you with the Rubicon. If you take the Kawie out of the picture I would have to say that the Rubicon has my vote hands down. So if you are a Honda only kinda guy the only real choice (excluding price) is the Rubicon. The transmission is the only conponet on the Rubicon that anyone seems to question and the truth about that it has been around since the seventies mated to a street bike engine that put out twice the ponies of the Rubicon with little or no problems. You can buy with all the confidence the Honda nameplate has stood for and still does. However I am not brand loyale and if I had it to do over I would buy the Praire 650. (did I say WOW WHAT A ENGINE) Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-25-2002 | 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

You wont go wrong with either the Ruby or the 450.I work in sales at a Honda only dealership and I dont hesitate to tell my customers of Honda's shortcomings,like no IRS,drum style brakes and no locking front diff.

Honda's are simple,fun and easy to maintain quads,they dont come with all the hassles of greasing and maintenance that the others must have in order to operate at a high level.

The new Rubys are also bug free.The Auto trans work great and is a sealed unit,unlike belts which OFTEN leak and wear prematurely,they are completely sealed and impervious to the elements of nature.

For the extra 600,your best bet is the RUBY!

Bill

Old 03-25-2002 | 09:56 PM
Range Rover

I owned a 2001 Rancher ES 4x4 for 6 months. It was a good machine, but it lacked "power" so I traded it in on a 2002 Rubicon. I'm 6'1" and weigh 220lbs and the Rubicon is perfect. The only regret I have is not getting the Rubicon First. I only have about 350 miles on my machine, but it has been trouble free. There are several Rubicons in the ATV club my father-in-law belongs to and none of them have experienced one bit of trouble.

Old 03-25-2002 | 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Rubicon hands down man!! one of the greatest machines i have ever ridden/ own. you cant go wrong with it. it may not have the SPEED .. but you can always but mods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. i have gotten mine to like 51. speedometer isnt EXACT.. but sumwhere around there.

Old 03-25-2002 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

I highly recommend the Rubicon over the 350.First the transmission is great,the ground clearance is good,and the power over the 350 is really nice. I have had both machine and I could not wait to upgrade from the 350 mainly because of speed and power.I work at a Honda and Polaris dealer,I have seen some problems with the Rubicon.But I would not get rid of mine because of these problems.I have added some upgrades to mine that really make it a fun machine,I upgraded the shocks and added the Trax Lock system from the 450.I also have changed to a set of 26" Bear Claws.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2002 | 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Rubis have had electric, transmission and other problems noted in this forum. The Foreman is as bombproof as the old 300, with more torque and a few creature comforts. Get more ground clearance by going with bigger 6 ply tires, and you won't mind being a long drive from the dealer. Hope that helps. Weakest spot on Forerunners seems to be front wheel bearings when used in mud often and not maintained.

Old 03-25-2002 | 10:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Scosho, I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree with you, but I really didn't need much of a push to go with the Rubicon, and the other replies have given me that - so I'll get the Rubi with the understanding that it may - or may not - prove to be as trouble-free as the Foreman - picture my fingers crossed.

Will let you all know how it works out after a while in the saddle, I'm sure looking forward to the new Rubi in my garage.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to offer your experience and advice - it is much appreciated.

Rob

Old 03-26-2002 | 06:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I too wanted to get the Ruby but I didn't know how the mesh tranny would hold up.So I got a 450 s and through a highlifter kit and some 28 inch outlaws on it.Unstoppable.And if it is stuck or swamped I shouldn't have been in there.Any Ideas on k&n filter kit anyone.Would a filter alone give me more power? Also I'd like to see the RINCON someday in my garage.

Old 03-26-2002 | 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have had all three atv's mentioned and there is no doubt the ruby is by far the best of them and in my opinion one of the better atv's on the market.
As for durability it is top notch and the tranny is pretty straight forward and I am sure it would out last any other tranny on the market besides maybe a sensor witch is very easily replaced and inexpensive. A friend "dealer" has over 100 rubicons out on the trails and some have many miles, the sensor that is most likely to give trouble is angle sens.. and the 450 has one also!

Quick Reply: Buying Rubicon or Foreman or Rancher tomorrow - need help