Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 450ES vs RancherES questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I have been trying to decide on an new ATV. Was all set to buy the Kawy 650 but became convinced after reading many message boards that the CVT tranny still has problems. I think I narrowed my choice down to either the 2002 Rancher 4x4 ES or 2002 Foreman 450 ES. Most people seem very happy with the Rancher and the design seems the most modern. My main concern with the Rancher is the lack of 2wd/4wd option. The Foreman 450ES is tempting with the 2wd/4wd traxloc. Most of may riding will be slow trail riding but I do like the feel of strong acceleration and take an occasional jump. I have read many Foreman vs Rancher comparisons and still have the following questions.

1.) Which Quad has the lowest center of gravity and is the least tippy?

2.) Is engine vibration more noticable with Rancher or Foreman?

3.) Is the lack of 2wd really a big deal or does this mean less long term maintance? My feeling is that the 2wd option is very desirable.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Question 1:
Even though the ground clearance is 9.7 inches on the Rancher, compared to 7.7 inches on the 450, the 450 has a slightly higher seat height. The center of gravity is probably slightly lower on the rancher, but the owners of the 450 tell me it is as glued to the ground as any quad. I would venture to guess that the difference is very little, certainly not enough to base a decision on.

Question 2:
These new sideways mounted engines in both machines have little vibration. Maybe slightly less in the Rancher. Again, not enough to base a decision on.

Question 3:
I wish my 350 was 2WD/4WD selectable. The new slip diff in both bikes does make steering in 4WD noticeably easier than the old diff. But 2WD is much easier again. That can make a difference on a long day on the trail.

Hope this is of some help, and maybe someone else with more knowledge can add more, or correct me!! Good luck.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

redwood, I wouldn'tbe too worried about the problems with the CVT. Yes, there may be disadvantages with it, but the 650 is in a whole other league from a 350/450, and I don't think you should decide against it just because you've read bad things about belt driven quads on the forums.
For every bad thing that has been posted there's someone who writes that they are very pleased with their quad.
If you've got personal expirience that turns you off from the belt, that's different, but the Kawi 650 is going to be alot more fun than a 350/450.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

GreatCanadian,
Thanks for the feedback. Its sounds like the Rancher is a great machine. With the traxloc the Rancher would be my first choice. Honda most likely added it to just the Foreman to keep sales up. Have you considered an unlocker for your machine? For safety and reliabilty maybe fulltime 4wd is the way to go. Has anyone had problems with 2wd/4wd switchers. One less thing to break. My guess is all the 2003's will come with traxloc and a few other surprises, maybe disk brakes. It is tempting to just wait. Any opionion on the 2wd Rancher. This might hold me off until the Rincon has been out for a year or two.
Redwood

Old 03-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

thenewfiebullet,
The 650 is surely a feature packed machine and is very tempting. After reading numerous post my personal opionion is that the CVT transmission on this machine needs some work. Maybe it is just the new design or added engine braking. Kawy has been making CVT for a few years so something doesn't add up. Comments from Kawy 650 owners welcome. My car is a 240 Volvo so maybe the Honda's fit my style more.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I think in the future i will have a locker for my bike....i would love to have true 4WD and selectable 2WD/4WD....a friend of mine has the rancher 2WD.....man, i like that bike....it's quicker and more fun than my rancher 4WD....but he can't go where i go...that's why i would love my bike more if it was selectable 2WD/4WD....depends on what you prefer...i need 4WD for where i go....the new ranchers coming out in july will have selectable 2WD/4WD....i should have waited...i bought mine a month ago!!

Old 03-27-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey redwood.....you say you're waiting for the rincon to be out for a year or 2...i'm gonna hang on to my rancher for a couple of years, and by that time i figger that the rubicon will be trouble free...then i'll get a rubicon.

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2002, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

GreatCandian
By that time the verdict should be out on the better machine and tranny Ruby or Riny.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

yeah maybe by that time i'll be leaning toward the rincon!!...

Old 03-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I like my Rancher as well as any Rancher owner on this board......just ask me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] BUT I would deffinatly trade it for a Prarie 650 given the chance.......well maybe just by the Prarie and keep the rancher for the wife [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] bot i would not pass the Prarie for the Rancher or Foreman ANY Day.

Moral of this post......GET THE PRARIE 650!!!!!

The rancher is a great bike but it can't hold a candle to the 650 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

quad on

cart

Quick Reply: Foreman 450ES vs RancherES questions.